Sunday, December 11, 2022

Top Sci-Fi Economic Developments of 2022 (Seriously)

Alright, I remembered one of the things I was thinking about that made me want to maybe do more than just one post this month! So 2022 (and especially these last few months in it) has been kind of a wild year for weird future sci-fi economy stuff that like, I don't think any author would have been able to extrapolate and see any of these coming. Not that I'm an expert in authors who are really good at seeing economic movements coming or anything? Nor do I have any formal schooling in economics, so if I sound like an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, well... But I find these things fascinating! and I hope that comes across.

Starting the year with the mainstreamification of NFTs, of course (I think that was this year? They died pretty quick at least, thank goodness) (generally) ugly little hypothetically unique artwork you can buy a link to (which hypothetically then also gives you copyright of the artwork itself, but there were a lot of NFTs being "minted" without the permission of the copyright holder of the art being linked to, and links to like strange intangible concepts and stuff.) That is all based on cryptocurrency stuff of course, massive ponzi scheme stuff but there's nothing new about that. The way the "smart contracts" are utilized to refer to art ownership as a way to get people interested in buying in to the MLM, that part is a little newer.

Speaking of copyright of art, yeah this year also saw mainstreamification of AI-generated art whose neural networks learned from copyrighted art, able to replicate artists' styles and thus potentially leading to loss of revenue in a very tangible way. That is also a weird economic thing!

But more recently! Marvel Snap, the line battle app whose gimmick is being able to up the ante at any point by doubling the points in play (the titular snap) is interesting from an economic standpoint, with the currency of the economy being points of course. Players play against each other but are also matched frequently against bots and that might be like, a guard against inflation or something? Like I said I don't know what economics is. Nor have I yet played Marvel Snap, though I am into mobile games from a ludological perspective so it's very on the table that I'm going to get into this for real in the quite near future.

Meanwhile on TikTok (and I've seen it extend a few tendrils onto YouTube as well) we have an entirely new economy start to form out of nothing! A fiat currency operating on the honor system, basically formalized Brownie Points, Dabloons are doubloons that you pretend to have, in your mind, and you can choose to buy imaginary things at pretend, like, video game potion shops sort of deal. And you do it for fun and not to not starve, because money can be fun! It used to be fun, remember when it was fun? And apparently theres big inflation going on or something, I don't know I'm not on TikTok, and the possibility of me getting onto TikTok is lower than... 

okay the ranking goes: probably going to start playing Marvel Snap, possibly going to use some kind of AI artbot, most likely not getting a TikTok, definitely never getting involved into crypto (unless "involved in" as a NoCoiner, somebody who is like a journalist on the scene and is an expert in it, so like technically involved, but sees crypto stuff as scammy or whatever; it's a dim possibility that I get into that kind of thing more formal-like.)

There we go! I just wrote a whole thing about stuff I don't know much about! This whole thing was a bad idea probably! Yeah I'm posting this anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment