Friday, December 2, 2022

(On) Destined (Whale)-Dials

I happen to be in somewhat of a bind right now. I'm excited for, and yet avoiding as much detail as possible about, both Indiana Jones 5 and Knives Out 2. It's a painful contradiction. I told you back at the end of July, halfish a year ago I guess, how I'd even set one of my passwords as relating to Indiana Jones 5, which is definitely true though looking at that I can't for the life of me remember what account I could possibly be referring to with that. I know the new Knives Out is called Glass Onion, by which name I am absolutely delighted; I think I saw the Indiana Jones trailer today revealed as laying out the title thus: Indiana Jones and, something like, the Dial of Destiny. Whatever that could mean. I saw some half-idle speculation months ago that the plot would have something to do with time travel, so like, a sundial? Absolutely silly though (and I mean that with all love and charity in my heart), the way the filmmakers would just invent a new artifact like that when prior entrants in the franchise generally kept to like, real legends (though of course it could be referring to something real but outside of my knowledge; I am not professing to expertise on the subject.)

Dig, yo, who talks like that? Ishmael. Ishmael talks like that. Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, or, the Whale is wrecking my vocabulary patterns.

It is, in fact, his chapter on cetology that recalled to my mind the ostensible title of the forthcoming movie! 

When the sea is moderately calm, and slightly marked with spherical ripples, and this gnomon-like fin stands up and casts shadows upon the wrinkled surface, it may well be supposed that the watery circle surrounding it somewhat resembles a dial, with its style and wavy hour-lines graved on it.  On that Ahaz-dial the shadow often goes back.

 Whatever it is though, there are yet months to wait. Glass Onion is far nigh more present. Far nigh? Yeah that sounds like something a human would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment