Thursday, December 8, 2022

Finished(ish_) the Lost Metal (Spoilers??)

See the title of this post. I finishedish The Lost Metal, Mistborn Era Two Book Four, yesterday. Listened to it on audiobook and I always start an audiobook over again a second time once I've listened to it once so as to, like, catch anything I may have spaced out about the first time, to make sure I really understand everything. I began it again this morning and am not finished with that yet, so I only say "finished-ish" instead of finished. So, like, I don't have real thoughts or anything yet.

But I did have one thought last night as I was drifting off to sleep. The book, the last of Mistborn Era 2, ends with several epilogues from the perspectives of different characters as they deal with the implications of the climax of the book, a lot of which are presumably going to lead us into the third era of Scadrial in the next Mistborn series. That's well and good. One thing that struck me though (and here's the only true spoiler of this post) there wasn't anything from the perspective of any of the people who'd been living underground, this City of Ember from City of Ember, Downunder from A Boy and His Dog, Vault from Fallout, situation that turned out to be a hoax? They learn the truth about their community, help with the thing at the place, and... and nothing, and we never hear from them again. Do they rejoin society or what, presumably, we don't know. Being in the head of one of them, especially in an epilogue weeks or months later (do they have months on Scadrial, being without a moon and all?) would really help at least get a sense of how they're coping with that; it doesn't even have to be a very long scene. Just some acknowledgement of the trauma these people went through would be nice.

But like I said maybe that is in there; my reading comprehension isn't that great until the second listen-through is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment