Thursday, June 21, 2012

Of Film Making and Rice Mascots

   I spent much of the day on the set of On Our Own. Not really much to report there. The director says that thanks to my helping frame some shots and whatnot, I'm going to be credited as Second Unit Assistant Director. Well, that's how I think my credit should read. Since there's only one real unit, he actually says I'm going to be credited as the Assistant Director of Photography. A slightly loftier position than I feel I deserve, but I'm not complaining. Good news, I guess.

   On actual matters of making the movie, I don't think there's enough in the budget to purchase any stock footage, but I still think the movie is missing something without having any economic foreshadowing at the beginning. We've shot some stuff with the teacher at the beginning, but continuity hassles prevented us from continuing on that path, and I'm not sure how we can work around the fact that we only got half of the classroom scene shot. Also, I still feel it's lacking in some other department: a villain? Or some other way of having a bigger narrative arc than just leaving home and learning how to respect your brother in life-threatening circumstances? They meet too many new friends along the way for it to be a real survival story, so...

   Nevertheless! None of these things are really why I'm posting on that today. The real reason is some set pieces we had. Survival stuff, you know. Stuff to make it look like they had a food storage pantry going on. Anyway, two of the items there were these rather large bags of rice. I just fell in love with the mascot immediately. I'm not sure if he's got an official name, but the Hinode Rice Man is now officially my favorite mascot. Incredible that a human could climb the ranks so quickly, but how could you not love a face like that?
"I sure am mighty pleased to have this phat bowl of steaming hot long-grain enriched white rice. Delicious!"

   He's just so happy with his rice! Isn't he adorable? Maybe tomorrow I'll post up some fan art.

No comments:

Post a Comment