Tuesday, February 28, 2017

*Lion* and Lyft

In the morn I've got a test; I'll make this quick so I can rest.

Trying to rhyme isn't really helping my cause out. It just, I mean you really have to spend a lot of time, thinking about not just the ideas but the words as well... so, moving on.

Saw Lion today. What a story. Got no idea at all why it's PG-13; if the ratings system were up to me I'd hand it a G, but, like I've said before I have no clue what's good for kids or not. Great, beautiful message and everything. What the heck, show the kids, I don't know. Didn't even know why it's called Lion, until the end, when it was all- alright, it's not even a twist, but I daren't spoil it. Suffice it to say, it's one of those titles that make the movie better for it. Not like Brave, or Fried Green Tomatoes, where they just sort of shoehorn it in there- more like The Good Dinosaur, where the title actually gives you something deep and insightful about the characters. (Arlo is, just, objectively good. Objectively. The title of the film even agrees!)

I guess I could go over a basic plot- young Indian boy gets separated from his family and lost, picked up by an orphanage 1,200 km from home, adopted by an Australian couple, and twenty-odd years later finds home again using Google Earth. It's based on a true story, so we allow the use of product, to an extent, but the film's acceptance, 6 Oscar nominations and all, shows how much we're becoming willing to not dismiss something off the bat for using specific, branded technologies. These brands are our lives, so that's a good thing. We're not unaffected by these; they're pervasive, and they connect us in ways that can be deeper than we first think. Kneejerk we're suspicious of anything featuring product, but we have common social media apps we need specific technology to access, and don't bat eyes. Technology is marching swiftly, so being really specific with the way we showcase it dates our works, but we still need to have it, in order to be truthful to life. It's interesting.

This short animated film, June, shown to us in motion design class yesterday, is about a little old lady who connects to people using Lyft. And it's beautiful.

So it's like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment