Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Task Party Chronicles, pt I: I would've had this all as one post if time didn't run out on me writing it halfway through, but There Are No Bugs, Only Features

I hate it when YouTube videos and webcomics and stuff (maybe hate is a strong word) apologize for a schedule slip, because I'm always reading/viewing those years after their first upload, so it doesn't really matter to me, but... haven't posted at all this week, up till now, so now you future blogreaders know, you future blogreaders, you. Has it been crazy, trying to catch up on late work and hopefully now be on the same level as everyone else in the class? Well, it probably should have been more crazy, I mean, there's always room for time usage to be more efficient, but, yeah, sure, crazy enough.

Now that I'm done-ish with (most of) the big stuff that was due this week, mostly the business plan that was due in the Business for the Professional Artist class (and I've shifted my art-business focus from graphic design for board games, to the serigraphy thing, which means that all that time tracking down the contact info for 100 different board game companies to have them in a potential client list was time spent in vain) I guess I can post here again for a bit but hey guess what: on a whim, Bro Burr gives us ANOTHER crazy assignment to have completed off the top of his head, track down and use, what was it, 25, 50 hashtags, to use in each art post, to attract more eyes to our stuff? See what works for others, and start using those. So yeah. Maybe I should be doing that instead of this.

But you want to know another thing I maybe should have been doing homework instead of doing (I actually got the business plan due by midnight, so it turned out to be okay)?

Heading home after BftPA class, cutting through the I-can-never-remember-which-dead-white-guy-this-one's-named-after building like I do sometimes (weather's been crazy today; snowed all night and though there was barely a trace of snow left on the ground yesterday today the whole planet seems thick with slippery powder) I found myself outside of Kody Keller's office, and, maybe I should flashback to something I realize I never told you about in the first place, though I have mentioned it in passing-ish on Facebook.

There was a design-an-acorn contest, acorn sculpture 3''x3'' to act as a sort of trophy of some faculty award, for students to compete in, this semester. 1st prize $100, so, yeah sure I like money, no skin off my nose if I fail. It'd been coming up for a few months, so I'd designed mine over Christmas, in my head, and sketched out some ideas in the car on the way back to school. Built it, got it turned in at the 11th hour (it's like I can't not operate like that; like the mighty koi fish, I expand to fit my temporal container. I'm a time koi, in other words. I'd had this analogy before, but the realization of how true that is was really codified in my mind this week, yesterday morning, when I had readings to do for religion class, and it looked like I had a solid half-hour more than I needed to turn it in, maybe I'll even get it in early this time, but the final very few verses of reading took me 20 minutes to complete somehow. I turned in the assignment at 8:59, with a 10:00 deadline, which seems like I did get it in early, until you realize that that left me only 1 minute to put on pants and shoes and get to my Mesoamerican art class at 9:00. So I missed the tip of the nose of that one; I'm not sure how that class did begin. And just now, turning in my business plan due on Thursday, it took until midnight local time (so, now Friday) to actually have the "send" button hit on the email. I'm like a koi that expands to fit its temporal container, true, but in a truer sense I actually expand just beyond my temporal container, sloshing out a bit, maybe even breaking the bowl. (And did I mention that the idea of having the business plan in on Thursday was to turn in a printout in class this morning, but emailing to him while still Thursday would still be technically acceptable?))

But! The acorn sculpture wasn't turned in that much at the 11th hour! There were still a solid 20 minutes left, to turn the acorn in to (and definitely not "into") Brother Keller. Brother Keller, I've mentioned before in passing, is the ceramics teacher who replaced the retired Brother Geddes. I had art readings class from Brother Keller, his first semester, and he's a rad dude. So, turning in my acorn, there were still 20 minutes where Brother Keller was still contractually obligated to stay in his office in case any students had their acorn to turn in, because the contest deadline said, turn your submission in to him in his office by this time and no later. Looks like my submission was the last one, but he still had to stick around, so he invited me to stick with him, and we chatted.

So passing by his room this morning, I had to stop in, not only to pick up my acorn now that the contest is over (they liked our stuff so much everybody won, $10 at least to everyone who submitted but that still doesn't answer whose design was chosen to be the acorn trophy) but to shoot the breeze.

And that's when he mentioned the Task Party going on after the art seminar, this evening...

(to be continued!)

2 comments:

  1. Koi fish analogy: It's a real psychological principle called Parkinson's Law. Basically stated, it's when your "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." If you have an hour to do a task it will take you an hour to finish it. If you have a half hour to do the same task it will take you... a half hour. There's some life hacks in here somewhere I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parkinson's Law by science, but Eric's Time Koi phrase is great. Hmm. Sounds like the kind of thing I'd turn into a password for something... So if your professor gives you a big fish bowl, perhaps you could switch yourself to a smaller fish bowl, thus getting your project done a bit more ahead of things?

    Anyway, good luck with the contest. And getting things turned in on time. And thanks for posting. I was about to send you an email checking in on you.

    ReplyDelete