Friday, February 24, 2017

The Task Party Chronicles, pt II: This is actually a review of Rock Dog, go see it


Rock Dog isn't a masterpiece or anything, but it might be as good as Sing, though in different areas. Both have their flaws, but both have areas of pure unfettered creativity as well, and music that's only occasionally mediocre, and is generally pretty good or great. The song "Glorious" was awesome. The score was really good. I can't remember any of the score for Sing, though I know there was one. Films about the power of good music kind of need to have good music, and, well maybe the songs I didn't like will grow on me upon relistens? The rock n' roll in this film is actually genuinely rock n' roll instead of just rock without the roll, which is, I mean, there's a character who's a robot but it's still tough to pin down the time period this film's supposed to take place in, you know?

It felt like, especially with some of the cornier gags like the sheep forgetting everything ('cause sheep are dumb) (conveniently allowing exposition to be delivered, with a stern "I've told you a thousand times, we've been over this" from J.K. Simmons,) it felt like a funny animal comic out of the '40s and '50s. It is based off of a comic, Tibetan Rock Dog, which I think I've heard of before but never actually read or anything of course, so maybe that comic was/is deliberately trying to channel that, and some of that made it to film? I don't know.

The wolves were great, especially in character design. Loved that. Solid character/creature designs all around, more consistent than Sing's, but the wolves were... well, it's not like I haven't seen wolf designs that look like that before, Robin Hood and Kung Fu Panda do similar things off the top of my head, but Rock Dog managed to make the triangle-head-wolf-with-pointy-nosey-overbite fresh somehow. Kenan voices one of them; Kel doesn't voice the other, unfortunately, otherwise we'd have a nice thing going on with those-two-bad-guys wolf voice actors played by comedy duos, between this and Storks with Key and Peele. I'm not sure how good the terms they're on with each other anymore; I think it's warmed up I mean they did do that Jimmy Fallon thing together...

Zootopia's still totally winning the recent spate of animal-city movies of course, but the other contenders are pretty strong.

Um so Task Party. Brother Keller gave me the address, Sister Jimison's house, and tried to describe what one is, but failed, and said, there's videos on YouTube explaining it, just look at that.

So I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment