Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Pre-Reg

So going into Fat Cats today to see if I can preregister for that Ready Player One Experience event, it turns out that they were unprepared for my asking, and I'd been the first one to express interest. Which, is alright I guess; doesn't mean that people aren't interested (if I didn't have class tomorrow right before, I'd just show up for it unannounced myself.) They took down my name and number and I didn't even have to pay yet, which I'd been prepared to do.

They also took down the number of tickets I was looking for, just one; it hadn't occurred to me that I'd be able to, like, see the film with someone else. Which is weird because there's exactly that question, number of tickets requested, in my form for the made-up AIGA conference in the Advanced Typography project we're doing (the con would have this, exclusive Infinity War premiere screening. I think I've mentioned before, I chose for my project, the typography of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.)

BLFC higher-tier preregistration closes on the 30th, meanwhile. Looking over it, I don't really need one of those higher tiers. I definitely want a tee, and they're supposed to be cheaper (and a guaranteed snag) with the patron or sponsor tiers, but that extra stuff isn't all that much extra. Like, my name given special thanks in the con book; it's my first furry convention (basically my first nerd convention period) and I don't know if that jazz is all worth it yet. And nobody said the tee need be from THIS year's con...

So I think we decided, we don't need that level of preregistration. Though we still have a couple of days if we really want to change our mind.

This year's BLFC website at first blush looks to be typeset in Futura, but upon closer inspection the second leg of the uppercase R in this typeface doesn't meet the first leg like it does in that typeface, and the W's are quite distinctive with their three upper terminals but meeting in a "T" on the left. The center vertex of the uppercase M also might be very slightly above the baseline; it's hard to tell but I think so. Using several Google Chrome extensions to peek into the CSS, the font's name is Josefin Sans. Mystery solved. Seriously this CSS stuff is a godsend. You've got no idea how nuts it drives me to be sitting there in real life and noticing a font I can't identify.

Speaking of Futura, that's totally the typeface they use in that #BecauseOfHim video! Which, I'll, maybe Easter??

No comments:

Post a Comment