Thursday, November 8, 2018

Redaction (Spirits! In My Head!)

I got maybe half a paragraph of writing in today! I should just write during writing time, instead of spending most of it trying to track down a song I'd heard. But oh! such good ideas. I'll just have to do, FOUR DAYS WORTH OF WRITING, tomorrow. Or like spread it out, and not melt down and BSOD like I did on day one after spending into the wee hours of the morning finishing off my Halloween story.

So, anyway, the "not like a homosexual fairy" part of Miracle's backstory sucks and is unfunny, and I'd meant to delete before posting it but posted everything up anyway even the crappy stuff because hey that's a place to start; but going back today and trying to fit in what I know of how Unwin's powers would fit into that, didn't work with how it's written? (and I know I can always change that, but it feels like the feeling of  isolation and unreality being part of Miracle's character would fundamentally go away, if it was Unwin strictly that allowed him to realize he had a hidden past life, and so I have to keep it, that he just happens to start remembering that his childhood wasn't real, himself.) Revisiting the paragraph, instead of deleting that crappy unfunny "fairy" line, I just sort of crossed it out like this (I guess because, it had already been counted as part of my word count, so I couldn't delete it?) 

But that made that stupid line, suddenly and out of nowhere, side-splittingly hilarious again?! I don't know what it is. Maybe the acknowledgement that is is unfunny, making it funny, or something; but, oh, man.

It's like, redacting confidential information out of a document, as part of this text for some reason. (In the ~published version~, they'd just have the type set so that the strikethrough is extra thick, so that you get the "redaction" gist but still have the text be legible. And in the audiobook version... they'd, figure something out, I guess.)

This is great. Offers up so many horizons on how to get the humor that I'd been meaning to add into this draft. Most of my attempted humor is kinda dumb, and my humor in general doesn't really fit in with the tone of the rest of it, but now, it doesn't have to, and that makes it even funnier! I think at least.

Also, on the subject of Unwin's powers is it possible for "gifters" or whatever (must look up to see if there's a word for such a concept already) to bestow their boon on someone, but stow its accompanying bane and shoulder that themselves? Seeing how the story possibilities this idea opens up are aitch'a interesting, I'm gonna say, yes!

Anyway "Spirits" by Strumbellas!


Also that album art is just FAB.

No comments:

Post a Comment