Thursday, November 15, 2018

tryna do action but i fall in love just a little ol little bit

I really need a prompt if I want to write, at least a vague vague understanding of how things are going to go. I hadn't been going to write at all today, finding it too tiring; writing anyway, because I'd set up an ambitious goal for myself, I found that the writing itself was rejuvenating; what was tiring was pantsing it, and as long as I had an outline of sorts I was good to go.

Which means that it's time to do action scenes, which I'd been holding off on because I felt unprepared, but I'm about as prepared as I'll ever be, and there's not really any research that can be put into them to stall them more. Finding new supernatural creatures with strange weaknesses that can be used to defeat them? Not today. I have beginnings and endings for the action scenes, but what I realized I needed to make them compelling are goals. An unspoken goal in action is survive, but Moone can do that, so what else is there? Also, solid geography, and, just writing about an action scene isn't writing a scene itself, this is more stalling, sorry.

Going chronologically through the book and finding the scenes that need to be blocked out, on the very first scene I hit a problem. A problem caused by, the research actually being important turns out.

In the first action scene, there's a character with a backup life, only they lose that life which leaves them without that lifeline. The way that suspense beat is set up, though, makes no sense with the research put in. The way that phylacteries would work is, when you die, your soul gets bounded to the phylactery, and that would act as an anchor to this world, so you could keep living? Essentially. But I'd had it, it's a backup life, already in there, which can be whipped out if you die. And thus things get dangerous when the phylactery breaks and there's no backup life. But the way they really would work wouldn't need that part, that's there to ratchet up the tension. So I can't write that action scene without totally restructuring the beats. Like, MacBeth is all, uh-oh, and gets made and there's that, but that doesn't make sense without the excuse to lose the phylactery.

Although the way those work does make using a phylactery to imprison a demon make more sense, over the, "oh it's cracked and it can't hold souls anymore, but I can still use it to hold a soul!" thing I'd had.

I wrote some non-action stuff instead.

Really I'm afraid of nailing down the geography, though. I don't want to make such decisions, and rather have it be vague...

Oh! Spirits by Strumbellas, from a few days ago! No, I remember now, that wasn't the song I'd been trying to remember, that was just going back through all the bands I'd listened to recently and going, Strumbellas? Was this the one? It looks kinda right, I guess... 

It was actually Hozier!



Anyway, looking at it TTDEBCA has its type justified by default; why can't I figure out the way to do it here? I've been doing it manually because I didn't know it was possible to have it be part of the template, but looks like it can be...

No comments:

Post a Comment