Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Wordcount Paradoxes

If I'm feeling inspired, I can churn out a little over 1,000 words a minute. Hour! I meant hour. Though how amazing would that be. Aiming for 50,000 words, that's 50 hours. One hour forty-five minutes a day on average, I can tell without doing the math, just from the knowledge that it's 1,667 words a day and 1,000 words is one hour (I mean, alright, there is some math involved technically, but it's basic conversion.) "Feeling inspired" is relative, because the most inspiring thing for writing is, writing, and churning up all these ideas too many to write at once. That sounds like a bad stressful thing, but it's not. It's the opposite. That's the best part.

Writing is stressful, but not the act itself; the idea of not doing it, and just feeling unproductive because I'm not doing it, and trying to fill that anxiety gap with things that aren't writing, which doesn't work and only makes me feel more anxious. Buckling down is 100% the hardest part, which is surprising because it'd seem like the easiest part, right?, but it's not.

What helps in writing is just turning the screen off, so there's no distractions and I'm forced to focus on what to write next instead of what I've already written. And no visual clutter, like, oh, look at that tab, time to goof of on the internet now! Though of course research has its time and place as well (turns out having magic wards embedded into walls like I had is a real thing that people did, man am I going to look like a friggin' genius, but no that's like a total coincidence) (like horse skulls and dried-up cats and shoes and jars of piss and things.)

I'm 3,333 words behind though, even with Funny House technically counting for NaNoWriMo. I have done a couple hundred words in notes and stuff, and filling in some small gaps from the original draft, but that's not really much. I got a great way into cracking Unwin's character today though, so I think I'll do his POVs tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment