Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Courier

   Now that the Fourteen Days has gone up, and I'm down to exactly 100 posts I'd failed to preschedule before heading off on my mission, I feel totally free. Whatever freedom it is-- it's still a freedom, and this freedom I feel is, I feel free to put up other posts I'd written two years ago but didn't publish either for one reason or another, and which didn't make it into my final cut for the actual Fourteen Days for one reason or another. Usually length or quality purposes.

   Except for this one. I always thought this post had gone up prescheduled but turns out not. Huh. I've got it here for you now, at least- now it's time to tell you about something very dear to my heart.

   Courier is-- yes, Courier is my subject. The font, you ask? Yes, precisely. It's fascinating. It's a fascinating fascinating font. What Courier is, is something of a paradox of a typeface. It represents the past and future...

   Designed as a "typewriter" font to emulate the typewriter fonts of the past, Courier is what they call a monospaced typeface-- in other words, it has the the same width to all characters, just like the letters on the type bars of a typewriter. This "monospaced" format is almost entirely unique in the modern typeface industry-- if anyone needs it, it's there in Courier and almost nowhere else (and Courier makes it look the handsomest anyway.)

   The monospaced format allowed easy separation into rows and columns (if all the letters are the same width, a character a certain number of letters over is at the same spot along as a character along a different line)-- this feature is ideal for scanning massive amounts of data. Courier, then, once used as a typewriter font, thus became useful for programming purposes to signify code. 

   Yay Courier!

No comments:

Post a Comment