Monday, February 9, 2015

SPORTS

   Went on a bit of a tangent yesterday which thankfully I cut out of the final post (and which I'm of course subjecting you to here! yay.) I was talking about the Superbowl, and how like cut off I feel when it's basically the only common ground in America but I'm not in on it? But, I now realize, I'm not sure if I would have it any other way or not... Like I'm fond of saying (or at least fond of thinking a lot; you're going to have to verb the subtext, man;) it's just, a thing; neither positive nor negative but totally neutral (of course, as with all things, save for contexts-- which there seem to be about a fifty-fifty split of, so, yeah.)

   Sports, as I had been going to explain yesterday, never really appealed to be; I don't know. Went to a girls' (varsity?) basketball game this evening; home team was already whupping by the time we arrived 5 minutes late, and the status quo never got more interesting from there. Spent much of the time napping; that hour passed quickly. That's with basketball. And basketball is my favorite sport (basketball is my favorite sport!/I like the way they dribble up and down the court!...) Alright, maybe not my favorite-- insert obligatory curling reference here, and as for the rest I've always kind of been interested in horsey polo... not that I know much of it beyond its existence, and everything, but: it's a cross between like all of my favorite things; horses, golf, and, like, croquet... it has to be awesome!

   What was I talking about? Oh, yeah, how much I dislike sports (and how much I am not a hypocrite, I believe was somewhere in the water...)

   The goal is arbitrary, watching the baseball card statistics play themselves out just smacks of a major waste of time... Real-world politics influencing what happens down there in the arena, sure, makes sense, that's interesting that's the kind of thing they make the movies out of-- but that isn't the sports itself, is it? It's never totally about the game; we act like the stadium is its own entity, and actions down there are isolated in vacuums and everything, but that's not really the case, is it...? It's never the case. When does the arena give off and the... real world... begin... We have opened up a metaphysical pool too deep for this current lighthearted discussion, my friend; I suggest we move on...

   Being so knowledgeable about how factors influence each other that you're able to have a relatively accurate March Madness bracket prediction, or, whatever-- that's actually pretty cool, but... well...

   Alright, I'm done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment