Thursday, February 19, 2015

Update on my Health Levels

   And here's the part where I make a cutesy neologism, because I just realized that I'm also going to need to downdate on my health (you know, like, actually post up that post I wrote for the most part half a month back but never actually polished and posted up, so I'm going to need to backdate and post it?)...


   A couple of weeks ago (or however long ago it was, sounds about right...?) in order to wake me up among other things, I decided it would be nice to run right out of bed-- I'd worn shorts and a t-shirt to bed the night before for just such an occasion, so it wasn't so much as a spur-of-the-moment thing as that makes it sound (just biding my time to a day when it wouldn't be, you know, the need to poop or anything, to get me out of bed)-- when I woke up in the morning, I just got out of bed and set out the door and ran. No shoes, no coat, nothing that I hadn't already had on.

   They say-- and, I just realized, no I have no idea who the "they" in this instance is, but I've talked to a person or two (or, one) and this person/these people say that, um, singular or plural they,'ve, done research on the subject, and clearly follow it themself(ves), so I'll take word for it-- they say that "natural running" (you know, running without shoes on) is, like, way healthier for you than the other thing, and, hey, I can believe it-- the same way that diet pop is less healthy for you than full-brew because you subconsciously feel better at ordering the Monster Thickburger because hey my Sprite is diet, the same way that having increased car safety features actually lowers safety because you feel better about driving more dangerously, ergonomic shoes actually are worse for you because of all of those things; plus, I've read Markus Zusak's I am the Messenger, and there's a girl who runs barefoot in that and she's really good at it but she's trying out with shoes anyway and it sucks but there's this scene where the titular Messenger delivers her this shoebox with these supposedly amazing new shoes for her to try and the box turns out to be empty and it's all meaningful and it's such a good book, guys, and, and, that all back there was one sentence; pretty nice.

   But the thing about natural running, running barefoot, when it's early in the morning in the middle of winter, and you're running on a barely paved Podunk road in the middle of rural Nevada, is... oh, you've already guessed it? Uh, moving on, I guess...

   I only ran maybe half a mile, but it took a couple of days for me to be able to put my feet directly on earth again without smarting. Running feels good, and it's great, though, so that was hardly my last time doing it. It's only been a couple of times in between then, actually running instead of just going off on a walk or something (which also happened a couple of times) but running just yesterday (it's always a spur-of-the-moment thing, which explains why it hasn't happened that often) I was barefoot still and everything, but just between those two or three times I've already got callous enough for it to be okay (callous as a noun, there, by the way.)

   Also, sort of exercising other ways-- I kind of lifted weights, last week, and I am pleased to report that I am a pathetic weakling.

   But my weight is down, anyway. It's almost at my old all-time-high. Isn't that great? (Plus a whole lot more of it is muscle mass, this time around, though-- I actually possess the ability to do a full pull up, now, as proof.)

   And, that's it, for now. Hope that wasn't too boring...

No comments:

Post a Comment