Thursday, May 26, 2016

Laptop 2.0

   I'm on my laptop again! 3 days and $115 later, I've got back my laptop. And I'm deathly terrified of it. The lobby where I dropped it has concrete flooring; I'm in the apartment over carpet right now, with the laptop unplugged, but I'm still afraid I'm going to drop it.

   What had happened was, tripping over the cord and sending the laptop tumbling to the ground, I shattered the hard drive, I'd imagine into fine glitter, because apparently those things are fragile. The hard drive broke, and with nothing to boot to, the boot just booted to the BIOS screen, where nothing goes on ever. But I can boot it now. Boot it to... still not much. I lost everything in the crash.

   I'm kind of alright with not having any of my saved files left. All of my writing projects are saved to Dropbox or Google Drive, and my typography homework is all saved to my flash drive. I don't think anything that had been saved to the internal drive was all that unique; it was mostly projects of mine that had been saved from other computers/flash drives but conglomerated here.

   This guy's basically 2.0. It even looks different now, externally. Dropping the laptop broke off the disk drive exterior part, the part with the button that you push to pop the slot open. And trying to figure out what had happened when I first discovered that my laptop was now a vegetable, I popped the plastic part out from the hinge bit, the part that covers the hinges and air vents. 2.0's basically this skeleton of a laptop.

   And I'm running bare-bones now, on the inside, with not even the desktop background the same, and the only things on the desktop being Chrome, Adobe Reader, and the Recycle Bin. The desktop used to be swamped with files and folders pockmarking it; now it's totally bare. It's... disconcerting.

   On the plus side, I've got 437 gigs of space suddenly free. That's a lot. I've got no idea what to do with that much space, especially now with a wider perspective on the importance of files in the first place.

   On the downside. My Firefox is gone. I have none of my sticky notes anymore. My Chrome account has none of the cookies it used to. What are my passwords? I don't know; I have to sign into everything manually again. And my MSPA saved file is gone! It's going to take a while just to relocate my progress on that. And, maybe I did have files saved that were important? I certainly had things written on my sticky notes that I'd thought were vital to keep at the time, but thinking back on what they were, they really weren't that much.

   Also on the downside: I'd really been super stoked to post today about, dang it could have been one of any number of things that happened; it was quite an eventful day. Especially one which consistent so darn much of just naps.

   I'm installing Adobe CC again; I could totally use the space on massive Adobe Animate files...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the loss of your files. Glad you got a new hard drive. Hope all goes smoothly now.

    ReplyDelete