Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Free Bikes, The Early Internet, and '90s Edu-Rap

Nice, family, business, there, painting the apartments all up with a fresh coat. I brought them doughnuts. And, gave them my bike? There's been a bike lying out on the sidewalk nearby for the past, however long, that I discovered today had a FREE sign taped to it.

I freaked out to myself, like Dudley finding Richie having slashed his wrists in The Royal Tenenbaums, although in a more excited positive way? but basically the way he, wavers and screams silently. Meep. (I've always imagined Dudley as Beaker and Raleigh St Clair as Bunsen Honeydew. And Richie as Ernie from Sesame Street. I've got a whole cast list, Wes Anderson characters as Muppets. Man's gotta have his hobbies.)

The tires were flat which made it occasionally difficult to ride, and it's a girl's bike, the crossbar (? bike anatomy ?) being angled instead of straight, but it was alright. Rode it across the street to campus and back. Way quicker, even with the parts where it refused to move due to its tires being flat.

I brought it into the lounge. FREE sign still on. Where it was, seen by the family, the (parents?) with their young (daughter?). They asked about the bike being free.

It is a girl's bike...

1992 is just, the worst, for internet. 1992 is when Finn Moone book 1 takes place, and the internet is a tangentially important plot point, but it's not even close to "our" internet. It's a totally alien species. 1993 is when everything happened. Just off the top of my head:
  • The Internet for Dummies first published
  • "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog" comic published by the New Yorker
  • Mosaic graphical web browser, and oh
  • Birth of the friggin' world-wide web itself
  • Usenet becomes available to general public (the "Eternal September")
  • This episode of the PBS show Computer Chronicles?

They'd say we've advanced pretty far since then, but I don't know. My computer seriously crashed trying to view that above video. Slow wifi here. Not, take a few minutes to download, not the video file of Clinton's inaugural address, but the text file, slow, but, making it all the way through a half-hour YouTube video was apparently too much for it.

Stuff that was around in '92, though? Don't Copy That Floppy:



Remember, kids, Digital Piracy is Evil.

Also, left is right and right is wrong...

Safe-T-Rider, I can't not bring up having brought up Don't Copy That Floppy. Also 1992, so it works. Though having really nothing to do with late-'80s/early-'90s computer tech.

1 comment:

  1. when I see things like that I always wonder how much they got paid to do that...

    ReplyDelete