Saturday, November 19, 2016

Deep 6 Eyes

It's been two years to the day today since getting off of my mission; and my birthday is, apparently, tomorrow; and there was a Thanksgiving potluck at Skizzy's tonight, which allowed one to get in for free if one brought food for it, and I brought stuffing; and there was a performance by Apollo A Capella there; and there was a Firefly/Serenity marathon at Angela's apartment which I missed half of because of the said Skizzy's events, and they also threw me a mini-birthday party which I did not miss... but, all of this pales in comparison to the fact that, apparently I have been a synesthete this whole time.

Synesthesia, you say, oh that's where you see certain numbers or letters as certain colors, or your brain gets its wires crossed and you can smell sounds and taste colors and all that, yeah sounds interesting and I wonder how that works, that's so weird and arbitrary, eh? the human mind truly is a mysterious thing. But it turns out that you don't have to "see" certain symbols as certain colors; all it takes to be a synesthete is to associate certain symbols with certain colors. Wikipedia: "Synesthetes see characters just as others do (in whichever color actually displayed) but simultaneously perceive colors as associated with or evoked by each one." Ooh real technical reliable source, you say again, citing the Wikipedia article like that, I know, but it's apparently such a fundamental part that it's taken for granted there, like, yeah: synesthetes can see characters as normal, but have the sensation of colors evoked through them. And that's something that happens to me all the time.

I only really notice it, generally, when I'm doing sudoku (oh shoot forgot to finish the Scroll challenge this week): I find 2 and 6 incredibly easy to work around, and associate them with/against each other, because in my mind 2 and 6 are somehow representative of/represented by the colors blue and orange, which are complementaries (opposites of each other on the color wheel.) I associate those two numbers with those two colors, they somehow fit with them, they surely hang around each other in some orangey-bluey complementary color sort of way. And that's enough to be counted a synesthete.

Just those two colors; I've tried mapping out if there are any other connections before, and the result I got back was muddled and inconclusive. (7 might be brown... or red... or green? or something?) Heck, I'm not even sure of the two numbers which is the blue and which is the orange- I think it's 2 and 6 respectively, but they tend to overlap in one of those "impossible colors" sort of ways because I do associate them so closely with one another. I'm confident enough to say this though: the little Rainbow Dash toy I got for my birthday, it has 2 skin and 6 hair. That kind of thing.

Unrelated note, something that I just realized, though: if brown is just a dark orange, which it is, technically, that means I've got dark orange eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment