Thursday, November 3, 2016

We Break Our Bread to the Sound of Rumbled Violence

John is arguing politics against some person over VOIP, and no matter who wins, this political conversation or the larger election, it doesn't change the fact that the world is wonderful, and Neil Patrick Harris is playing Count Olaf in the Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix show which is apparently going to become a thing. (Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket... Bernadette Peters as Aunt Josephine... Matty Cardarople, the guy who played the board-looking gyrosphere operator in Jurassic World, as the henchperson of indeterminate gender; probably most excited for that, 'cause that guy was... alright, the pen gate opener who releases the velociraptors, that guy's my number one favorite, but the gyrosphere operator's my second.)

Thanks, IMDb.

So anyway. My class registration opened up today, for next semester, and... I'd been basing a lot of my schedule around, I think, having thought that advanced typography class is available next semester, but it's not, and like, man I don't know what else to sign up for, other than this class that isn't there that I can't base my schedule around...

So the guest lecturer for the Art Seminar this evening was Jarom Sidwell, visual effects supervisor and/or animation department coordinator for Avatar and the Avengers and Transformers and stuff. He was also a Gundabad Orc in the Hobbit, and he played the breath for this scene in At World's End- seriously, that's his breath. (Uncredited, but true. Shoved him in a tiny black freezer box (he's 6' 6'') and had him go over the lines, and composited that in there.) He talked about his job, what it's like to supervise a vis-effects department, all the different departments you have to coordinate- animation and mocap and storyboarding and production design and all that.

I think I probably had more to say on that, but that's about it.

Oh! I'm not sure if I told you this, but yesterday afternoon, I finally got the last person interviewed which I needed for the Outlet. And let me tell you... those of us who chose to design for that poem (St George, it's called, like the desert in Utah) we thought we had a pretty good handle on its meaning, and it turns out, the actual theme and message of the poem are, absolutely nothing like we'd thought.

But I only had one real visual idea from the first theory on the poem, anyway. Now that I know actually what the work's about, I've got, more.

No comments:

Post a Comment