Thursday, November 17, 2016

What Next Semester's Schedule Looks Like from Here

Okay, I think I've got my schedule for next semester worked out. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but I'm only taking 13.5 credit hours, with 14 hours being the minimum you need for a scholarship... I don't think I'm applied for any scholarships (Pell grant just needs a full-time status, which is 12 credit hours) but this semester there was a $490 lump that fell into my lap and saved my bacon, and I'd hate to let one-half of a credit-hour per week keep me away from almost half of a thousand dollars like that... but I can't find any place to fit in one more half-credit, without jumping through any silly hoops or anything.

There are a few 1-credit classes, but let's go over the ones up my ally: some kind of study program, which is an individual, instructor-approved thing; an arts internship which of course also needs instructor approval; an arts field trip for a few days in the middle of the semester, which can cost anywhere from a few moolahs to a lot of moolahs; or a portfolio capstone thing. The internship thing and the travel study in the arts program are interchangeable in that either can be taken for a B.A., but I want to apply for the B.F.A. now don't I, so I'm putting that kind of thing off for now.

Maybe I can take some odd religious readings class or something, like the Ancient Temples and Temple Texts class last semester which was so awesome and which was worth from 2-3 credits or maybe even just 1 credit I'm not sure, but it all seems like a lot of trouble to go through especially when I'd be overshooting that half-cred. Looking at the Scholarship/Grant from this semester, it says 08-16 Academic- Sophomore Status, so that was probably (?) just because I, in moving onto my third semester here, going off-track this semester (like y'know the reason that I didn't get a Pell grant in this semester and had to use my savings and all) technically began my second year, which qualified me for that money- and it won't be till Spring semester that I'll need the full 14 credits, to qualify for Junior Status academic scholarship.

The schedule itself, though! What are these 13-and-a-half hours on average per week, which I've decided to enroll myself into?

There's an online Information Design class; got no idea how challenging that's going to be, with online classes it's always totally a tossup. Maybe trivially easy; maybe so demanding as to be almost impossible. I hope it's somewhere in between?

Scheduling for Monday morning was a bit of a challenge- there's a motion design class (i.e. animation) that's then, or there's Printmaking II, or, probably some other ones. But I told you about the Mesoamerican Art history class I'm taking, which is then; I sort of had to schedule the other stuff around that. As for the motion class, I'm instead taking "Motion (Linear)," on Mondays but in the afternoon; I've got no idea what the difference is but this was what was open for me, and so I took the last available seat on the roster. That's Monday-Wednesday, while the Mesoamerican Art history class is Monday-Wednesday-Friday; the art history course is my only class on Friday.

Also MW, going over noon, a religion course, Foundations of the Restoration. It's from Brother Thomas, from whom I took my Pearl of Great Price class back in Winter Semester, and who is awesome, so I knew I had to take him, whatever time period his class was offered, and schedule my stuff around that as well. I think it's worked out nicely.

That leaves me Tuesday-Thursday. Thursday evenings, once again, the art seminars (which is where the .5 credits comes from; maybe I could double-book myself in the class, write and turn it two papers?) but Tuesday and Thursday mornings, looks like, will be a Business for the Professional Artist class. And who doesn't need that? Graphic design students? M-maybe; I mean, it DOES look more like, how to sell your sculptures or paintings or whatever- but I DO do art outside of graphic design work, and I am interested in serigraphy and all that. So, that should be interesting. Let's see how applicable any of it is! (Even if it's not, it should still be interesting and good stuff to know, if only on a general, economics, sort of scale.)

Maybe it'll even be applicable to writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment