Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A Couple More Bollywood Numbers

I've got the script mostly hashed out, just needs a bit more editing and all. My computer decided to be exceptionally stupid on me today, crashing twice in a row and requiring an update and not allowing me access to my script in progress for a couple of hours. So I'm just putting completing the video off, until tomorrow. AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE oops sorry hit the caps lock on accident.

While I was waiting for the technology to thaw its ornery ways down a bit, I could at least watch Bollywood films on a seperate device. No, the lockout did not take long enough to have completed an entire film in that time, it just felt like it did.

Last summer I posted about a couple of Bollywood numbers I couldn't get out of my head; I think I'll do that again.

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. I don't think I've ever mentioned this movie, but it's one of the all-time classics. Here's a basic rundown!

Shah Rukh Khan's character, Rahul's, best friend is a girl, Anjali (played by Kajol.) She's more of a tomboy; her favorite hobby is thrashing him at basketball, kind of thing. They've got chemistry... they should, I mean, considering the jodi (that's a, Bollywood term, meaning actor pairing.) Enter the smoking-hot Tina, played by Rani Mukherji, though. Now Rahul has to choose between them... He chooses Tina. Tina dies in childbirth, making him promise to name the daughter Anjali. (This is where the film begins, and it flashes back to that other stuff.) Eight years later, Anjali (played by child actress Sana Saeed) learns of Anjali (the Kajol one), and tries to matchmake her dad with his old best friend. And now (and now this is my favorite part read this carefully) Anjali-played-by-Kajol has to choose between Rahul, a role played by Shah Rukh Khan, and Aman, a man played by Salman Khan (but which role having been turned down by both Saif Ali Khan and Aamir Khan.)

Got all that?

(If you really have any doubt over which Anjali's going to chose, just remember that the Kajol/SRK jodi is, well, like one of the most famous chemistry-tastic pairings ever; (for example, it appeared again in My Name is Khan, definitely a film I have mentioned before, which I'm singling out because, Shah Rukh Khan plays a man named Rizwan Khan SO MUCH KHAN GOING ON.))

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai's title track is undoubtedly one of the catchiest songs, like, ever, but I think that Koi Mil Gaya is also way up there.




Now, Koi Mil Gaya should not be confused with Koi... Mil Gaya, another one I'm bringing up just to deliberately confuse you. 

Because Koi... Mil Gaya was followed up by Krrish, which was followed up by Krrish 3, under the idea that Krrish 1 was Krrish 2 and Koi... Mil Gaya was Krrish 1. It's... not as confusing as all the Khan stuffs, but it's still something I love going on about. And it all still starts with a K, so, there's that.

Either way, those movies starred Hrithik Roshan, the most heartthrobby heartthrob to ever throb hearts. His first role (and therefore his youngest and therefore his hottest) was as, well actually he played two different characters, in Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai.

A very very basic rundown of that one is: Sonia (Ameesha Patel, also making her acting debut) is in love with Rohit, a musician. There's something in here about getting stranded on a desert island together, but they're rescued, so yeah that went nowhere (it is where the title song is sung, though.) Sonia's father has ties with the mob, and Rohit witnesses a hit and is killed for it. Complete with goofy whack sound effect as his head hits a rock underwater, after he's already drowned. Sonia moves to New Zealand, where she meets Raj, who also happens to be played by Hrithik Roshan. Raj joins Sonia as she moves back to India, and they're attacked at the airport. Someone's mistaking Raj for Rohit, so they decide to leverage that by having Raj put on the rock concert that Rohit died right before performing, giving them an opportunity to publicly announce the real Rohit's murderers. Bloody, bare-knuckled action scenes ensue, and there's a rather clever gambit with a cell phone, using the murderer's phone to call the man's boss and Sonia's father's phone ringing; that part was cool.

Yeah, it's an incredibly tonally inconsistent film, but it can not be overstated how angelically man-babely Hrithik Roshan is in it. His delicious delicious face (not to mention mindbending dance skillz) makes the whole thing worth watching.

There's this theme that goes throughout the film, anyway, sort of this, Ah, Aaaaah; Ah-ah-ah-ah-AAH, Aaaaah. And, as Raj resolves to recome Rohit, it resolves into this song.



On the subject of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai anyway, apparently Rani Mukherji is Kajol's cousin in real life? 
And on the subject of Hrithik Roshan films: all four of those movies I just listed up there also happen to be directed by Hrithik's father, Rakesh. And who said philately is dead.

Stamp collecting, but I can't think of the real word. 

And am I the only one who thinks that Wes Anderson is the spit and image of David Duchovny? Probably not, but, that's entirely unrelated, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment