Sunday, February 11, 2018

Feeling Fame(/ous)

So it may not seem like much (because it's really not much) but my latest YouTube video has 34 views, and, dang that's not much is it. That's the second-most viewed video on my channel, though. Only like three of those were from me, adding a few views to the view count ticker as I added closed captioning.

I went to bed last night with like ten views on the video, and going to check the views this morning, I was all, okay, you're going to be at 11! Only it was at 27. Holy smokes.

And one of my boards on Pinterest has 7 whole followers. I feel so famous.

Both of these are probably going to tick up. 

The number of YouTube subscribers remains four. The number of blog subscribers remains four. The number of Instagram followers remains, three, but man I should post there ever, I seriously give it a solid consider almost every day. My non-art Instagram inexplicably has 24 followers, and it seems like other people gain YouTube subscribers the way dogs gather fleas, just like, not even trying. Humph.

It's my last semester here and all, and this semester's field trips started this Wednesday; I also need one of those, but then that's it and I can graduate, and after that... so Instagram. A lot of the artists I follow are getting jobs at places; Izzy Abreu is going to work at WAG; Tanner Wilson is now working at Cartoon Network. Only, these people are incredible artists. I don't even know-- I mean I guess I could ask, but I hardly ever see Kody Keller; the last time I saw him he was teaching pottery the way he do, and I couldn't exactly approach him... Recap, he's the one with friends who work at LAIKA and friends who work at the Church's video production arm, and he'd somehow be able to wiggle a wand and get any student who wants it a job at one of those. I don't know how, or what the job would be, or if it'd be guaranteed, or anything, like I said I could ask, if I see him ever. Or what kind of things I'd need on my portfolio, or if I'd need a portfolio. I'd say my resume is solid enough for an entry level position in, not the art department, of a film studio. But these are art students he's offering the opportunity to, because of course it's art students he's got as students. Um. But, the Insta-folks I follow, getting jobs at places and studios I'd love to work at, they've got portfolios that allow them to get to those places, and how did they get those portfolios, by doing work, like probably for sure, at least at the start, schoolwork. This is what your art degree gets you, that's what you're building up, is your portfolio. Only I'm over here just, building up a portfolio in an area I don't really care to have a portfolio in, or maybe I would if I were any good at it. I mean, I'm any good at it, like, looking at my completed design this last assignment, I'm like, yeah that's pretty good, but then I see a fellow student's work and am reminded just how good everyone else is, in a competitive field. And how else do you build up a portfolio? Doing work, like, freelancing and stuff. That's what they did, and that's what other art students do, and that's what my fellow graphic design students do, and I've done that a little, in small capacities, but sitting in class and the students around me are talking about clients and stuff. They're professionals already and stuff, you dig? And building up their portfolios that way. I guess I have the capability of doing that, but... well, whatever. If that wand is truly magic, I won't have to angst about it. I wouldn't have to angst about any of this, if it's a guaranteed position. But still, it'd be nice to have, any job. Any, job specifically suited to my abilities. Which seem multitudinous if I try to list them, but in practical terms, just kinda falls flat. 

Humph. Just passed 1:00 (midnight PST). I would have published just now, had... like, the internet, just disconnects on my laptop sometimes, randomly, and it did that, and so clicking publish nothing happened, and it switched over to 1:00 as I was reconnecting. So like man, I don't know what to do, don't particularly feel like backlogging it to 11:59, the way I wind up doing sometimes.

Anyway, falls flat. I applied for that thing that I mentioned, last semester, just another thing I never heard back on; it was some, school thing, multimedia, maybe, thing for the school paper. Knowing video editing and all that. When they asked me on the application what sort of special skills I had, maybe I came across as, not specific enough, or maybe I came across as, trying too hard or something, but I just said, I'd probably fit in any open position, just give me a job, my skill set would fit for it. And never heard back.

I'm looking over at a monoprint I made, the one that was never lost because it didn't make it into the portfolio because it was entered into an art show where it didn't win anything. And that's what failure is. Failure is absolutely nothing. It's, never hearing back. The ski trip, falling over so much, it never hurt, it wasn't even cold. It was just, nothing. Not even a great big hole there, that still would have been, something.

They say faint praise can damn, but it's praise all right. So, 34 views. I consider that a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment