Sunday, February 11, 2018

Waiting, and Practicing

Felt like I've been waiting. All day. Just biding my time. Not sure what for, since there's nothing now that can't be done today instead of tomorrow. (I am out of fresh foodstuffs... waiting to go grocery shopping perhaps?)

Sitting around, with my sketchbook happening to be nearby, I did get some drawing time in, which I haven't gotten much of this past week. It's good practice, but I'd need to polish my work and add some color in somehow, for me to consider it IG-worthy.

Still, if you don't know what it is you're waiting for, does it qualify as waiting?

Me, I can't do anything when I'm expecting something to happen. And so I've just been... poking around. Double-checking things that don't even need to be double-checked (total views on that YouTube video: 37, now.) I think it's maybe because the next episode of that is due up in two days, and as usual, I'm completely stumped as to what the episode is going to be about.

That's probably it really. And this episode, and the one after that, are scheduled for school nights, wheee!!

I'm a sprinter, not a cross-country runner. I realized that yesterday, in church, Saturday afternoon session of stake conference. Soo bad at making and keeping consistent habits. How I manage to do these posts everyday (or, oh yeah, in today's case, twice today technically,) it's something of a... it was a deliberate choice, to make this a hobby. Maybe it's increased my writing skills, who knows. Either way, forcing myself to do videos, that's also a choice, to have something to do to get good at filmmaking. I'm certainly improving on that. It's, a, laaaawwwt hahhder, than it looks. 

And I'm certainly doing myself no favors by having chosen current events as the topic.

Wait, wait... I think I know what the episode is gunna be about.

The end goal I guess is the practice in itself. Focusing on views and stuff would only blind me to that. Getting thumbs downs though, that's a useful tool actually. Also, it's not like anybody needs a reason to want to be YouTube famous.

Maybe I could leverage Instagram somehow, to be the same way? Forcing me to practice drawing, painting as well (I am so much a better draftsman than I am at color theory) even if the paint is all digital...

So. Another thing I realized at church yesterday, singing the hymns, is that sure I've got a lovely set of pipes, but only if I'm actually trying. And there are certain earmarks, or areas of focus rather, that I need to pay attention to, to actually put my heart into singing well. And by these earmarks, I can, sing well. And wonder perhaps if there are earmarks of trying in any of my other endeavors as well.

There's a lot I've learned about successful application of color I've learned from studying other people's art, painters and whatnot, a few tricks I see them apply, but knowing tools and tips and tricks and actually applying them are two different things entire.

Speaking of color, do you think pastels are coming back? I looked up what makes a pastel a pastel, because it seemed so ethereal, the definition; turns out it's actually pretty easy, high values, low contrast. Makes sense. And so, do you think that's coming back?

No comments:

Post a Comment