Friday, February 9, 2018

"Adults are So Strange..."

I woke up at 8:53 this morning, and the world was still dark. 8:53? I couldn't believe it. I checked the time. And double-checked it. Double-checking it, though, revealed that it was 8:53 pm and not am, I'd awoken from a nap and not from a full night of rest, and that it was still Friday instead of Saturday. So actually, it wasn't 8:53 this morning. I'd been wrong.

There's so much I feel like needs to be done. Not that much, though; making a list of it all it's a lot shorter than I'd expected, but... well, writing it all down is a start at least.

So I went to go see Peter Rabbit today. I'd thought, hey maybe this will be what upsets Jumanji off the throne before Black Panther is unleashed in a week, but, turns out that a certain grey-shaded finale also came out today, which already seems to have led the Thursday previews...? Piffle. Because Peter Rabbit is actually really pretty good. Not perfect or anything, but it's more than tolerable/bearable, like the trailers suggested... I mean, tolerable/bearable would just have been tolerable/bearable, but that doesn't make it good. Far from it, it's enjoyable on its own merits, and the CG animation/rendering is among the best I've seen in my life, and I laughed out loud, and I can think of only one or two times where the humor fell flat, to the all-adult audience I saw it with at least.

(Like seriously you know what would have made the "pig in chapstick" gag actually funny, is if what's the pig's name, Pigling Bland apparently, hadn't been there as part of the group, and then Mopsy was it, was like "don't put a pig in lipstick," and Pigling Bland was like there suddenly, all "no no no, it's chapstick, I mean it's strawberry flavored so it may look like lipstick, but it's actually, um, chapstick," and everyone else is all, "how did you get here? were you here earlier??" Like, that'd be great. But it is not what they went with.)

And I'm just baffled by how low of reviews it's getting. Nobody's calling it lousy or anything, but review aggregates just make it seem mediocre, which it certainly is not. Is it the setting update? What? I mean if it hadn't been based off such classic characters, I don't think it'd be receiving such a tepid response from the grown-ups. It's not like it's, like, explicitly present day or anything; they don't make jokes about Twitter or anything. 50 years from now it won't seem so misplaced; I don't know. And people are seeing 50 Shades over this?? Adults are so strange...

No comments:

Post a Comment