Friday, May 11, 2018

Nancy

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy...

A month ago on Wednesday, the comic strip Nancy got a new writer and artist (on Monday, a month ago from Wednesday two days ago, I mean.) It's... How do I describe it?

It updates the setting to modern day, with social media and cell phones and everything, but keeps the same blandish minimalistic humor; the juxtaposition is Nancily g-rated, but so incongruous as to be almost subversive, coming across as more like a parody of the classic-style oldentime humor and by extension of newspaper comic humor in general. In other words, it is brilliant, and fully aware of that fact.

https://www.gocomics.com/nancy

And that is what I have to report on today.

Though it's not really a report, as such, as such...

Nancy Audrey Adams Perazzo gave up the ghost today, though, which is why I'm bringing up this other Nancy. If she'd died two days ago, maybe things would be turning out a lot different, and I'd have brought up the comic strip thing on the actual mensiversary, but that's not the way it happened. I'm not shaken or torn up about it; I don't think any of us are. The problems and complications were sudden, yet it's been so long coming; we've had our chances to grieve; we're going to see her again anyway. 

Had she died even a day earlier the funeral would have been tomorrow (is that the future perfect subjunctive I do believe it is,) but it was today so the funeral's on Monday, which are cheaper at the cemetery anyway, burials-wise. Happy Mother's Day!, ha-ha.

It feels kind of selfish not to have this be affecting me more. Really. To be able to talk about the comic strip Nancy first and foremost. The comic strip character, who's going to remain young forever, probably, even as the world changes around her. 

I found my old journal in the garage, from 16 years ago, and I cried more at Nancy's brother's death (whom I'd met maybe four or five times in my life) than at the news that my grandmother herself has finally, finally passed. It was the funeral, mostly, that did it for me there, so... Monday it is then. And a viewing Sunday evening for those who can't make it.

1 comment: