Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Boardgames and Bunny Hops

2.0's been crashing a lot recently on me for some reason. Giving me the blue frownies, a couple of times today (or actually I think once was last night maybe,) and just now, just, crashing, and rebooting itself. And just now just now, I'm at 10% battery, so even greater motivation to make this post quick.

There's a board game design workshop here, and it looks like the first meeting was this evening, and it looks like it's taken it a while to get off the ground, but it's up and running now (and I joined some smaller group because nobody seemed to know where it was being held, "Manwaring Center dining area" being kind of vague and big and all, until I noticed someone humping a heavy old board game on their way to something else, and followed them, and went back and grabbed the rest of the group) but it looks like we're meeting every other Wednesday for the design workshop, but a board game night regardless each Wednesday. I played a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill and got turned into a vampire when the betrayer was revealed, and then we betrayers lost; and played a (very drawn-out) game of Bang! and died but actually still won because I came back as a ghost for one turn due to some event card from some expansion, and shot the sheriff. Another game night next week, and then the week after that a game night plus the workshop, which will be about the logistics of gamemaking, including playtesting and stuff. Two weeks after that, art I think, and then after that materials? Something like that.

The bunny hop is an incredibly inefficient method of travel, is the other thing I learned today. I'm not sure if other people seriously don't get the sudden urge to bunny hop all the way back home from class, if it never crosses their mind even, or if they just, totally want to do it (the natural thing to do) but let their fears of what other people think get in the way. But it's not something you see very often, either way, which, isn't much fun at all, is it.

A surprising number of people don't know the bunny hop when they see it, is another thing. Could it really be that obscure? If someone on some future Who Wants to be a Millionaire– fine, computer, you win, plugging you in– –okay this is interesting, somehow the power cord got stuck like through a hole in the corner in the shoebox all my receipts I haven't indexed are in, or rather were in, because now the shoebox is all spilt out seeing as how I knocked/tugged the box over through my grabbing of the power cord, but, seriously how does something like that even happen, I mean, it just went like through the flap or something– if someone on some future Who Wants to be a Millionaire wins a million bucks because they learned the bunny hop from me just randomly doing it past them all the way home, well, first off that'd be crazy, but second off I can just see them in some Slumdog Millionaire-style interrogation, like, how did you know the bunny hop, and, seriously at that point, I'd just go, ...you know what, you're right, I have been cheating this whole time, because there's just no way I could adequately explain that.

No comments:

Post a Comment