Monday, January 9, 2017

Sushi, Seminars and Cinema

I know the schedules for both the Art Seminars that are going to take place this semester, and the International Cinema films that are being screened this semester. Well, first of all: today was the first day of a couple of my classes, Foundations of the Restoration and Motion (Linear.)* I now have been to each of my classes I'm taking this semester, barring one I signed up for last week which I'm taking the second half of the semester and which I'll tell you about later.

So I was out racking up a few hundred more steps and some good stair climbs for the Fitbit challenge, when I came across, in the hallway outside of Brother Raish's office, the poster telling the films being shown this semester for International Cinema. I tried taking a photo of the poster... I had on a coat which happened to have my old Coolpix in the pocket... but it didn't have its SD card in, and the few slots that are on the camera's internal storage were all used up. I checked to see if I could delete any of the photos to make room real quick... and it turns out I couldn't. Not that it was physically impossible, like the trashcan button didn't work or anything, but the photos stored there were too precious to delete.

One of the greatest evenings of my life was November 16th, 2014. I had just a few days left on my mission, and my birthday was coming up, and Elder and Sister Ejima who'd taught Japanese class on the mission invited the elders who'd attended that, and their companions, to their apartment for an amazing sushi dinner. There was rice and nori, of course, but for fillings there was everything you could hope for: egg, and SPAM, and sashimi, and cucumber, and crab sticks, and avocado... The food was amazing, the company was amazing ("you must turn on... the bubbles!"). I ate more sushi than I still think possible. Elder Ungerman ate more wasabi than anyone has the right to survive. It was a great time.

L to R: Elders Perazzo, Eyre, Robinson, and Ungerman

...Gosh. Look at me. I was, incredibly squishy, there by the end of my mission. Case in point:

squish squish
Not to mention how pale I was... that's gotta be the flash. Right? But anyway. 

I looked at the poster, and was surprised to find that I've actually already seen not two, but seen two and been told like a jillion times to see a third, films they're showing this semester. 11 days, now, and I'll finally get to see Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which my sister says I need to see and Carla says I need to see (Carla Jimison, my printmaking teacher last semester**, is the one introducing it.) Then there's The Boy and the Beast, which I've only seen dubbed so watching it subbed should be pretty great? And I've seen Samsara, which is pretty mindbending but I don't think anyone needs to see it more than once (alright, there's probably someone out there, at least one person, who'd need to see it more than once, but you know what I mean; repeat viewings are redundant, I think, once you've been exposed to what the film has to say.)

Grabbed my D3300 and got a pic that way.

Also on the Coolpix's internal memory was a photo of my notes I took during the seminar I attended my first semester here a year ago, without actually being in the art seminar class. And the photo of the packed stuff I was taking to school, before the semester started, which you may recognize from this post; that was also on there. But seminar stuff anyway, speaking of that...


The seminar schedule is just on the class's I-Learn page, which I stumbled across in Linear Motion class (which is awesome- we're animating in After Effects, and I've learned more in the couple of hours in that class than I've known from just teaching myself) trying to find its I-Learn page. So. A couple of names from this are familiar as well.


Brother Franson is speaking at the seminar this Thursday, and he's also got a solo exhibition going on at the gallery opening this week. Brian Kershisnek is awesome- one of my favorite contemporary artists. I am so glad that I don't have anything Fridays at 10:00 this semester, because I wouldn't miss the opportunity to do some after-seminar workshop with that guy for... well, I'd gladly miss it for the world, but, other classes, at least, definitely not those.




* No character animation, but plenty of crazy stuff there still.
**I couldn't take the intermediate class this semester because of the Mesoamerican art class. I think I've told you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment