Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Motion Design, Information Design, and the Perils of Planning Ahead

Motion design is everywhere, and I can't unsee it, man. Education kind of ruins you. All the really impressive-looking motion designs are actually super simple to make, I mean the fancy type motion designs and everything, and the shapes and most of the stuff in the ads that you see all around us, from those annoying GIF sidebar ads to the ads actually on TV. The CGI 3D effects, well they aren't always even necessarily in 3D, but when they are, that's, still relatively simple actually, though it does *usually* require more advanced programs than just After Effects. Usually.

So I'm thinking of doing motion comics or something?, it wouldn't really be difficult to do at all, just make some art, extrude the art into layers (2.5D, it's called,) and then individually manipulate those layers, slide 'em around each other or whatever. Seriously that insultingly simple, and it looks great. Figure it's a combination of some of both my passions and my strengths, and technically counts as graphic design so could maybe even make good portfolio pieces/a direction for my field within graphic design. Because it's a broad category, a big field that encompasses a lot and continues to grow to encompass even more, and having a specific field of interest and speciality is way more likely to get you places (such as a BFA.)

So I don't know. It's something I'm looking into doing anyway, and we'll see how it turns out, and if it can go into any portfolio or something. Seems like a pretty good idea I guess. If I don't seem that convicted, it's just because I like to keep my future options open?

I'm eating a lot of ramen lately. Trying to save up my money for this bad boy, donate $100 and get an exclusive t-shirt out of the deal, plus that whole chance-to-maybe-meet-Wes-Anderson-and-be-in-one-of-his-movies thing. Thought I'd have enough saved by the end of this week, but there was some stupid scheduling thing at the plasma center, where it's been a year since I started there and so it was time to get a physical, which I thought I'd scheduled but it turns out that that only got put into the computer system and never got written into the official analogue appointment schedule, so it didn't count as getting scheduled in the first place, and so I missed the plasma money opportunities of all of last week (which included a $10 bonus,) and so there was $50 there I spent on groceries last week I'd thought I'd more than make up for but then the scheduling thing happened and so like I had a bunch of unnecessarily non-ramen groceries (I'm also getting in frozen vegetables)... So it'll be like the week after next when I'll have enough money again, but I'm just $10 off from having it by the end of next week, which is terrible because there's $10 I did not actually spend on groceries actually only spending $40, and getting $10 cash back, then using that $10 last week to buy a ticket for TCM's special presentation this evening of Singin' in the Rain at 7:00, which turns out to have been the time there's this Google Hangouts thing for Information Design, which I thought was at 6:00 so yeah totally I'd be able to do both, but that turns out to mean 6:00 Pacific time which is 7:00 here, so there I was waiting outside Paradise Donuts next door to Paramount 5, in the cold, with the laptop open, and the webcam on, using the donut place's wifi, at 7:00, as Singin' in the Rain began, waiting to see if anyone else would enter the group, which it doesn't look like anyone did, so I could go catch the beginning of the movie. And I got the ticket because I love the movies, but I needed that $10 I actually spent also because I love the movies, and there wouldn't have been that conflict of interest in the first place had I not bought that ticket last week, and I wouldn't have bought that ticket last week if I hadn't been planning ahead.

So don't plan ahead. It only winds you up in stupid places, like webcamming outside of a donut shop in subfreezing temperatures as your movie's starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment