Tuesday, November 20, 2012

2013

   As I'd brought up yesterday, tomorrow marks one month till the winter solstice and some ancient calendar somewhere magically winds down, which has been interpreted to marking the end of the world because of the calendar's unusually good ability to predict other astronomical events. Yeah. But today, it is my birthday.

   Yeah.

   I had a dream where it was my twenty-first birthday (so, today) only I was sad. Since this dream was before it was my actual twenty-first birthday (...yes) that meant that I had skipped all that time in between and gone straight from the day of the night I had that dream to today, missing all the days in the middle. Tomorrow marks the day, one month till the solstice and the alleged end of the world. So, I had gone and skipped ahead through all this time and now only had one more month to live. It was a sad birthday.


Everyday I feel as though I’m done for
Every night I feel my time has come
Although I am still very young.

I dreamt it was my birthday
And the world was ending
I had made it to 21
But I couldn't to 2013

Twenty
Thirteen, thirten, thirteen.
Twenty
Thirteen.

You'd set some trends
among your friends
they'd invented a thing and called it love
Whatever keys to fit whatever locks
When we were still very young
We had just worked out the paradox
Of being half yet whole,
Whole yet incomplete,
Of being two yet one.

(Twenty thirteen.
We're gonna have a war
If you don't tell me no.
Twenty thirteen.)

When we’re old, just marking time until we die
Our children will sing us this song,
And they will still be very young.

No comments:

Post a Comment