Saturday, November 24, 2012

Bro... Pony?

   New pony stuff today, you say? I'm okay with that. I'm kind of okay with being defined as "that brony guy." Oh, man, in fact that's probably making it up on my Wikipedia page. But I've got no investment in the third season. It's probably just as enjoyable as ever. I don't know, I haven't seen any of it, even though I said I was anticipating it. Holy crap, though, that's little girl stuff. Something's changed. Maybe. The Bronymoon is over.

   Don't get me wrong. It's still, you know, good. And I think it's going to continue to be good.

   It's not a fad like some say. I don't think bronies are going away. SWAT Kats has been off the air for twenty years, yet there's still a thriving internet culture dedicate around that. It didn't even make it past the second season, and Friendship is Magic is already well into its third with no signs of flagging. And as sad as the SWAT Kats fandom may or may not be (it was an awesome show; come on) you can't deny that it's quite healthy.

   There's a bit of a (fallacy?) there that humor comes in "layers" for differing age groups, and there need to be different layers for everyone to enjoy for everyone to enjoy. On the other hand there are those who would find it- trying to remember the exact phrase, it was something like "wrong and twisted"- to throw in more mature humor.  It's true that different age groups might prefer different deliveries of their humor, but outside of basics like timing it right there's not much behind that theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment