Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Alar Bahr Punches It Till It Bleeds

link! to the relevant information; my brother meeting with this Alan Bahr dude and having the meeting go well and everything.

So like apparently that's the same Alan Bahr as designed Planet Mercenary (the Schlock Mercenary RPG,) and my mind's just blown, because that looks like a crazy fun one- like, a crazy fun one. 

I've engaged in pen-and-paper myself a grand total of like two or three times in my life, so I haven't actually played it (Planet Mercenary) or anything, but I have studied RPG mechanics, pretty darn extensively (I mean not like super extensively, but there was this point where, I mean, there have been instances; I know enough at least to say, D&D is, well I don't want to call it terrible or anything, but the only reason it rules the roost as much as it does is because it's kind of a default, and there are so many much better systems out there guys) and so from what little I know of how Planet Mercenary plays, from the Kickstarter and Howard Tayler's blog and everything, combined with my fairly humble but rough-hewn solid knowledge of all the clever RPGs out there: Planet Mercenary is not only darn accessible but also unique, with a lot of mechanics I've never seen anywhere else but which make so much sense that you kind of wonder why nobody else has thought of that before. 

Like there's a couple of storyteller mechanics that the GM does, which makes the campaign have the narrative scope and feel of a real story because it uses actual storytelling principles, and it's like dude, why has no one else thought of that? 

MEANWHILE I GUESS, I've totally got the backlog of the last few days' worth of posts; mostly just embeds of stupid awesome YouTube stuff. I was gonna go to bed like two hours ago if it weren't for homework, so...


No comments:

Post a Comment