Thursday, July 20, 2017

Reginaphobia?

Don't know what to talk about so I'll talk about this.

But it's actually good stuff I promise.

Figured out how to not freak out during finals, by sort of ignoring that there was a deadline but that I still had something that, hey, I should get on. So instead of going nuts on it and doing nothing but projects, I interspersed doing projects with watching internet videos and reading the latest Dan Wells novel (Ones and Zeros, it's called; the latest in his new YA series Mirador, which I absolutely LOVE.) 

And I didn't die. So there's something to be said for the strategy.

But the YouTube I watched was mostly songs from animated Disney films. And I guess, smoothest segue in the world (only the very smoothest even invoke the fact that you're making a segue), that WHAT THE HECK EVEN IS THE RENAISSANCE AGE OF ANIMATION. The first movie in the Disney Renaissance age is the Little Mermaid, of all things. What's up with that? Oliver and Company comes right before, and... and it's a much better movie, just judging off of my memory of it and the songs whose videos I can't even now stop watching. Little Mermaid is... meh. And that's how I feel about most of Disney's animated films from the Renaissance. 

Princesses, I guess. I'm analyzing how strongly I feel about each film of the Disney animated oeuvre of that era, and: the perceived quality of the film, though ostensibly having nothing to do with princess content, is inversely proportional to how much princess there is in any film. Movies starring princesses I dislike the most; movies featuring princesses but focusing on the male leads I find meh; movies that have non-princess female love interests I enjoy the most. I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence, though it'd be a pretty spooky one if it were. (Megara and Nala may be technical royalty but they're not within the Disney Princess canon; they rock, but do they do so coincidentally? I think so, but I'm not disinterested enough to say for sure my own motivations.)

Going backwards outside the 90s, as well, the pattern seems to hold up: can't remember Black Cauldron, whatever, but- Robin Hood, love that film natch, but Maid Marian also not within the Princess canon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment