Saturday, July 1, 2017

White Blazer Mystery

Shopping today, finally got those groceries. I managed to successfully avoid all Spider-Man: Homecoming tie-ins. The cereal aisle has some Despicable Me 3 cereal or whatever, and that's really the only tie-in stuff I can remember.

Marvel Puzzle Quest updated to a new version like a week ago, the way it does periodically. I made sure to run the app store by Ryan, who knows my plight, and he responded that it was the Guardians of the Galaxy on the app icon- so it was cool to update; there was no aesthetic switch from the previous theme (I mean, if there were that, and it were Spider-Man themed now, there might have been spoilers!, so I made sure to have Ryan be the one to look at the app store screen.) It doesn't look like they're switching to a Spider-Man theme just yet, which is good, but there is a new event coming up in 5 days- the event logo appears to be Homecoming themed, it's Spider-Man's eyes, a line drawing thereof in the style of the Spider-Signal in the Spider-Man: Homecoming logo, possibly taken from the logo itself. Reflected in the drawing's eyes are... figures; I didn't look closely because potential spoilers, so I don't know WHOSE figures.

It's July finally! Not long now, not long at all... especially now that I no longer have to go shopping and expose myself to any more Product, between now and Thursday evening.

I know what happened to my cell phone, which I had apparently misplaced again- but not like that, see I knew exactly where it was the whole time. It was in the pocket of my white blazer! And it was my blazer I'd misplaced. And, it's a funny thing, because, it never look misplaced? It'll make sense once I explain what happened:

With the cell phone in the blazer's pocket, I could easily look up the location, and find both the phone and the blazer, (including everything else in the blazer's pockets, like my keys and thumb drive and the piece of paper that has the info about the awards ceremony for the art competition I've entered into and everything.) Pinging the phone, I find it to be somewhere in the apartment. Ringing the phone... no sound. And it's not on silent, and it's still on, and it's got plenty of battery life.

There is a radius of error margin, on the approximate GPS location of the phone, so I check all three neighboring apartments just to be sure. It's not there. And pinging the phone again, there's a tight enough margin of error this time to be pretty sure, it's at the approximate location of, not just the apartment complex or the apartment, but specifically in my bedroom there. I check the closets and the pile of clean clothes and underneath the stack of printing papers. Nothing.

We live above the laundry room, which I've previously checked. Though it's hard to hear a ringing phone in there, when the machines are going at least, it's not impossible. Searching my room in vain, praying for guidance, it clicks.

Behind the laundry room is a storage room- a room directly underneath the bedroom. Ringing the phone, with the machines all paused and my ear pressed against the storage room door, I hear the ring. The door's locked, but I know where my stuff is, and I know what happened:

The lounge has tightened its rules on leaving things lying about, and now takes things away after they've been there a period of 24 hours. I'm the one probably most affected by this move; in fact I'm pretty sure it's aimed at me. I tend to leave my stuff in the lounge. I believe I've mentioned this before, but I'm looking back through everywhere I've mentioned using the lounge, and I don't explicitly state it from what I can see, but yes: I tend to leave my stuff in the lounge.

Coming home late Thursday night, after leaving late from the Spori basement after compiling the latest vlog, I went into the lounge to watch a Bollywood movie, checked out from the library, due that day (or the day before, of course, since it was past midnight by the time the film started.) I figured I could watch the whole thing and check it back into the library before it opened in the morning, and thus avoid late fees. It... it didn't work, of course. This particular film, Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (starring Aamir Khan, my absolute favorite!), is 3 hours 45 minutes, super long even for a Bollywood film. After nodding off for the third or fourth time, I just stopped the film and trod over to the library barefoot and jacketless, at 2:45ish in the morning. (I was offered a ride once, even, which I declined.) I turned in the DVD, and after that went to bed.

When I woke up, around 10:00 in the morning after the long night before, and looked around for my blazer, I couldn't find it. And it wasn't in either of the lounges, of our apartment or the neighboring one, which were the two locations I'd been in it the night before (which I'd checked at first to see if I could watch the DVD in their player, since the Indian DVD says PAL 1 which means all areas, but it doesn't seem to want to work in the Blu-Ray player our lounge has, and so I'd have to use an X Box which I didn't want to do, and it's all very technical but long story short I did wind up having to use the X Box because the neighbor's DVD player didn't have any cords for some reason.) I even checked the basement lab where I'd been, even though I very distinctly was wearing my blazer as I left there.

What must have happened is, they found the blazer in the morning, from where I'd left it in watching Lagaan; found it before I made it down to the lounge to check, and for some reason assumed it had been there 24 hours already since it was there in the morning just lying there, instead of having been there just a few hours like what actually happened?

And now my blazer, and my phone and all that, is behind a door in the laundry room. A locked door, in case you hadn't figured it out yourself.

So. It'd be best not to disturb the managers outside of office hours, and the office won't open again till Monday. At least I'd been planning on hitting them Monday anyway, with the contracts for the next two semesters' stay...

No comments:

Post a Comment