Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Art Night and All the Rest

Art night started back up again tonight, and so that's a thing. Tell you about that coming up.

Wednesdays are also Comic Book Workshop. Hosted by Taylor of Taylor Writes, who usually hosts the animation workshop while Anne "Hairball" of Hairball Draws usually hosts the Comic Book Workshop; they've switched this semester and it really makes you wonder why they didn't do that earlier because comic books are much more in Taylor's wheelhouse as animation is in Hairball's. For real.

Comic Book Workshop ends at 8:00 which is when Art Night starts, and that's perfect and there's no scheduling conflict like I thought there may have been since Art Nights have been on Wednesdays now instead of Thursdays and, like, these are the only things I do all week.

Comic Book Workshop also brings up what I wanted to get to last Wednesday and Thursday... but whatever, like I've said it's been put off this long. Maybe some other day.

Meanwhile, all this stuff:

Films- Shin Godzilla alternates, oftentimes from take to take, between Kafkaesque red-tape comedy and sheer destruction-movie horror. It's quite something. Also, I saw Cats for the first time in my life yesterday; I know all the lyrics to all the songs by heart basically but this is the first time I've actually seen it, with all the dancing and choreography and stuff. It is delightful. Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is likewise quite something; you can actually understand what the heck everyone is saying somehow.

League- I purchased Blitzcrank the night before last; he isn't that expensive so I could afford him easily- I was literally one single IP away from getting him, though, so I played a quick player vs AI match on the easiest setting (it only gave me 3 IP from playing such a lowball game, but hey it was enough.) This was the last champion on my original list of champions I wanted to own, and so it was like, great I have nothing left to play for now after this; at the champion select screen though, I selected a champion at random it not really mattering whom I played as, and turns out she was totally awesome and I had to have her after that. Her name is Kayle, and... she's also incredibly cheap, even cheaper than Blitzcrank; I purchased her today. And now I have no more champions left to save up for.

Overwatch- I'm not sure how practical this is, or if anyone's tried it, but today I thought of a troll move you can do with Sombra. Basically you use her Thermoptic Camo to like sneak behind enemy lines, with her Translocator safely elsewhere so that she can zap back to it at a moment's notice. Actually firing her weapon takes her out of her invisibility mode, right, but I'm not proposing that; instead, she sprays her skull symbol on the wall behind the enemy, and Translocates outta there before her Thermoptic Camo wears off. Then it'd be like, oh crap Sombra was here and we didn't even know it, when they notice the graffito on the wall. It'd be like a friggin' haunting or something.

Other//half- To assure you I'm not just putting around playing video games and watching movies, I've got a 30 page document of notes on theme and worldbuilding stuff and everything, which I've been building up for at least 5 years. Reading through the themes sparks ideas which I write down, and it snowballs from there. I made some pretty good headway today.

Art night anyway. It was another 5-year plan meeting; last semester closed off with one, though this one focused on different things. This evening, we wrote down our most impractical dreams- we're artists, it's art, it isn't supposed to be practical anyway. The question came up, if I'm such a writer, if I want to go into television, whatever, why am I a graphic design student? Why not just have your major be that? (Though of course I tried to change already and it's too late and all that, thanks for rubbing it in.) Don't feel guilty for doing what you love, thinking what you should really be doing is something boring and unpleasant. What you love to do is what you should do.

I could go into more depth on the subject but I'm so tired right now I'm melting...

Meanwhile, I got contacted back today regarding the student film, and I'm going to be in it! I got the part of the antagonist. Which is weird, I figured if I wouldn't be the main character I'd be the wacky best friend or something, but they said they knew I'd be perfect for it, so I can't really argue against that.

I told them at Art Night and Joe (Horner) could guess just from my announcement of the news who the director is and everything- a friend of his, turns out. He's even read the script already, or an early draft of it, and could tell me a little bit about it.

1 comment: