Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Doctor, Feel Good

Maybe I felt guilty about... oh, I daren't say it. Whenever the mission choir was scheduled to sing at the same time the Tabernacle Choir was scheduled to sing, a few of my fellow elders and I hookied the mission choir to go see the Tab Choir instead. Phew, I said it anyway. 

Whatever it was I felt guilty about on Sunday (still trying to figure it out,) I know I had a post in it somewhere.

So anyway NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE came in the mail yesterday, and, yep, so far it's my favorite John Cleaver book (big ol' shocker.) I mean, OVER YOUR DEAD BODY had its moments, like with the oooh and the ohhh and the ahhh, but dang it Dan Wells how you so good? I've, I've said how he's my favorite, right? Because he is.

And there's a new show coming out Monday nights on ABC? This, The Good Doctor, thing. There was a commercial for it Monday Night Football (I was in the lounge to read my book, because the light in the bedroom went kaput a couple days ago apparently,) and all I saw of it was that it stars Freddie Highmore, and is called The Good Doctor. "The Good Doctor," I declaimed theatrically, though I had no idea what it meant. Like The Brave One, or The Good Dinosaur, or something; if they make a biopic of me for some reason, especially one set during the late 2014, early 2015ish era, I'd want it to be called, The Mighty One... so the title actually hit a little close to home for me, as vagueish and lamish as it may seem.

But I saw a full version of the commercial today on YouTube, no distractions or anything so I could actually make out what people are saying. It's about Dr Shaun Murphy, this, Freddie-Highmore-aged chap, and he's a doctor, and he's a good doctor, because-- because!-- he's somewhere on the autism spectrum (the website states "autism and savant syndrome," whatever that means,) and being that and having that gives him, doctory superpowers?

Sounds about right!

This is ABC we're talking about, and I trust their track record with this sort of, thematic, material, lest you think I'm being too churlish toward them; they're the ones who portray cerebral palsy so brilliantly in the sitcom Speechless (though to be fair that does star an actor who actually has cerebral palsy; Freddie Highmore is, of course as far as I'm aware, neurotypical.) I love neurodiversity in the media if they bother getting it right (just one of the reasons I love Dan Wells so much;) I trust the writers/producers on this show, whoever they may be, to have done their homework on this. 

Actually to be frank I'm going to be disappointed if they don't have little Adam-Ruins-Everything-style sources, or, cameo Temple Grandin, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment