Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Degree Decision Debrief

Alright so I'm not doing a 24 hour comic right now, by which I mean at this moment. Nor did I begin today. I realized that there were kind of pressing matters- like, what-to-do-with-this-semester, less than a week before it starts sort of things. Went to the art degree counseling office, well found it first (it's at this place called Chapman Hall, which used to be on-campus housing, but which is just a stone's throw away from the apartment; it used to be in the Manwaring Center) but went to the counseling office and, well just had a walk-in really, no scheduling needed. Imagine my surprise when the counselor (whose face I did not see as I pressed through the door, but whose voice I heard as he talked with someone on the phone) turned out to be a voice I recognized- it was Devon Watkins, whom I've told you about earlier. An old friend of, well you can click through the links.*

I told him about my degree, wanting to change it, seeing if there were any minors or clusters instead or something, how I may need to use the fall semester to hike my grades up so as to receive full aid next semester when I'm actually on-track, all that. At first I gave the pragmatic reason I do, like I do, for why I should have a minor, how bad I am at graphic design, and maybe some other discipline can bolster my skills somehow? But illustration actually isn't a minor,** and there's no real clusters I can take reasonably this late in the game, and the excuse is pretty weak anyway, but I know he knows McKenna since we three were this thing, and so, from the moment I heard his voice stammer slightly as he counseled over the phone, and recognized it as his, I knew I'd be able to play the matchmaker card, and tell him about McKenna.

I did. He didn't seem to remember her. But he gave advice anyway.

Long schedule-hammering short, I am not changing majors, I am not adding a minor, I am not even adding a cluster. It's brilliant, because without adding that extra load, I don't even need the federal funding; I can pay for the remaining few credits myself as it is, seeing as how I'm two credits away from graduation and had been planning on paying out-of-pocket for five this semester instead (having my GPA thus back up to 3.0, this is why it was important to add a declared minor or cluster, because even with that qualifying b-average, I wouldn't receive funding for credits that didn't go toward my declared major or minor.)

What exactly we plan on happening, I'll tell you about tomorrow I guess. Probably schedule that now, to go up during my 24 hour comic I'd been planning on? Also there are a couple of details to hash out. So. I'll get back to you.




*Frig, that last link is all about Contagion. I mean, the Devon stuff gets mentioned in the footnotes, but, Contagion, man! You'd understand why a Steven Soderbergh film being there is important if you read my journal; I've got a lengthy rambling piece I wrote today regarding my feelings after the counseling service, most (but not all) of the tangents fitting together actually in what I call "this really weird subplot that goes nowhere and could be excised entirely." The subplot does go somewhere, ish, but it's like its own story that happens to take place at the same time as the main story, without informing it in any real way. One tangent that doesn't fit, and this is why I bring it up, is the incidental information of the movie that played after Cool Runnings at the plasma center today: Ocean's 11.*** With the Steven Soderbergh connection there connecting to Devon, even incidentally, it's like things come fullest circle.

Also you should totally go see Soderbergh's Logan Lucky. It is way good.

** Graphic design is a cluster though. So, like, if I'd started out as an illustration major I'd be okay in this position right now, because I'd just be able to take a cluster of graphic design like I'd want to. Hmf.

***The George Clooney version of course, not the original one with the Rat Pack. Although Sammy Davis, Jr, does fit into the subplot already, come to think of it (like I said, it's a weird subplot,) it's already part of just the subplot instead of the main one.

No comments:

Post a Comment