Monday, September 4, 2017

My Champ

There are more than 100 champions to play as in League. There's some kind of rotation system in place, it looks like; you can only choose from a limited selection that are free to play for you (i.e. you don't have to unlock them) but what that pool is changes from, time period to time period (week month I don't know.) You can unlock the champions permanently for you by unlocking chests and gettin' stuff, or by purchasing the champions with RP/IP. RP you get by purchasing with actual money, but IP you get by playing games (the exact mechanism by which your IP for that game is tallied is arcane, or at least I have no clue whence the maths even after looking at the game stats carefully.) You get bonus IP for your first victory in a day; I've got just enough that a single game tomorrow will allow me to unlock permanently for myself a champion I've found I enjoy playing.

His name is Rumble, he's a Yordle (cute catlike creature) kid genius tinkerer sort of character who built his own mech suit. And he has the best powers too*-  his Q is this flamethrower that roasts a cone in front of him, which allows you to eat through minions quickly and gain rapid gold. His W is this shield thing that goes up in a bubble around him and also increases his movement speed, allowing you to get out of danger quickly. His E is this long-range bolt allowing you to damage champions from a distance. His R power, his R power I have not mastered, but it launches this row of missiles from the sky into a straight line on the ground which I can never aim the way I want to.

When he dies it's adorable. His mech ejects and he goes flying straight up, only for his charred, still-smoking corpse to splat the ground a few seconds later. Is another thing I like.

Unlocking chests has already given me Garen and a skin for him, but as far as tank-type characters go** I'm a bigger fan of Blitzcrank. I dunno.

And I haven't done a 24-hour comic in five years. That's insane. I mean, most people go their whole lives without making one 24-hour comic, but... heck, it's still summer for a bit, why not do one tomorrow. 


*The game is played using the mouse and a few hotkeys; QWER activate various special abilities with R being the "ult" power, generally taking a great deal longer to refresh after firing and only unlocking at level 6 (with each level up allowing you to level up one of your abilities.)
**Technically all three characters mentioned here are "fighter" types; I'm no good at playing tank. I think there's a technical distinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment