Thursday, September 14, 2017

Wolf and Hound

So it turns out that OVER YOUR DEAD BODY isn't the latest John Cleaver book; Book 6, NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE, came out earlier this year (I knew that it was finished because Dan Wells tweeted as much, but I didn't know it had already been published.) I've already ordered it over Barnes and Noble's website (getting free shipping due to my membership) and it should arrive about as I finish book 5. So excited.

The downside of the Alta HR is that, in spite of its name, it doesn't count the number of stairs I climb in a day. I know I already climb at least 10 because our apartment is upstairs and I go outside at least 10 times a day.

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro was shown as a Fathom Movie Events special feature. It's Miyazaki's feature-length directorial debut, and is both 100% Lupin III and 100% Miyazaki*. I think I saw part of it on the Syfy channel once, back when it was still Sci Fi probably; it was a while ago. But the most familiar part of it was how acquainted I am with that era of Miyazaki; he left a television show to direct this film**. Sherlock Hound, it's called, and he directed 6 episodes of it, those episodes having many a plot point in common with The Castle of Cagliostro. The whole show is available legally on YouTube, here's the whole playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?playnext=1&list=ELJ7W8YJE1z_8

And if you're only going to watch one episode, for heaven's sake make it this one, though all of the first five~six on the playlist are amazing (being the ones directed by him; the playlist is out of order with the Miyazaki episodes first):



21:20-40 are about the greatest frames ever committed to television.


* The Castle of Cagliostro has been criticized by some for yet being not very Lupin-like, tonally very different from the typically more mature ouvre Lupin III usually is. To me, though, Lupin III reinvents itself so often that this doesn't feel out of place at all.
** Apparently Miyazaki also worked on the Lupin III anime that was currently going as well. I haven't seen any of that, I doubt it's available free on YouTube (not that I've checked, maybe I should) but there are supposed to be even more plot points in common there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment