Monday, September 11, 2017

Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime

Today was fantastic at the start. And it's still a good day. But at the end of it the future is left more uncertain than at any other point in my life.

The list I made for myself, the first of May of last year, goes like this:
  1. scripture study/drawing practice → 
  2. Pinterest → 
  3. writing → 
  4. piano I guess after typing?/chilling with friends here? → 
  5. harmonica? → 
  6. vocal skillz.
And I've managed to stick to it relatively closely. I mean, I can't find my harmonica or anything, and not everything was in the order I thought of 16 months ago, but I did get in the important stuff. 

I've set up in the lounge of the neighboring apartment complex, where there's an electronic piano for me to use (there's a normalstyle piano in our lounge but something out of tune and without all the keys working.) Yesterday's post I'd been going to mention musical abilities (specifically composition skills; I did a little songwriting yesterday) but decided against it for whatever reason, sticking to the subject or being modest or whatever. 

My writing-fu is weak so far, but I did get in some incredible ideas in a completely different project. So that's good.

I set up several boards on Pinterest and pinned every visual inspiration I've ever wanted to. There is some amazing-looking stuff out there. 

Fitbits I guess have planned obsolescence, because everyones' have been falling apart at roughly the same time. Ryan's band has begun to fall off, but mine kinda went wonky a few months ago. I recently received a new one, the Alta HR, which is good because the band is designed to be able to be taken off, yay. But it's also good because it buzzes at the 50 mark every hour if there's still steps to be fed toward 250 steps per hour, so I could also take frequent breaks, walk back and forth between apartment complexes. 

Between the two, this morning, there was a burst pipe, since fixed, water and raw sewage seeping onto street level. Mostly wet wads of toilet paper, but there was some solid waste product as well. It was fun to watch as people walked through it, realize what they just stepped through, and wipe their feet off on the grass nearby.

So things were amazing.

When I met with Devon last week, he gave me McKenna's mission email address (though he didn't remember her, he still knew what her email would be.) I emailed her and got added to her newsletter, and today was her first preparation day since then, so this is the first I've heard from her since, June, July of last year. And so I learned that for both Sister Zaugg and her companion, it was their halfway point just Thursday.

Doing the math then, she gets off right when I graduate, and not any time before then.

Well dang.

It all goes back to Fall 2016, man. I'd be graduating 2019, if it weren't for my needlessly taking classes that semester.

I've already made my decision, and think I received confirmation, I mean you can never be that sure, but I'm fasting again tomorrow. It's not too late to start classes this semester. I can do this and the other thing, both. If I'm never going to see her again, that's okay, so why would I graduate later, stay in town paying rent and everything, when there's no rent at home?

Which is that thing I said earlier, at the start, about how uncertain the future is. I never figured I'd live alone, ever, just like get married right out of moving out of wherever Ryan's living with me, but I could live alone somewhere, though I'm not sure where. It could be somewhere in town, which is, basically a lot of the advice I've received. Still need to pay for that though.

Things would be a lot easier if I had a job. Or a girl.

And there's a song been running through my head.

1 comment:

  1. BTW, maybe there's not rent for you at home, but there's also no bed for you at home since there is a foreign exchange student sleeping in your bed...but I'm sure we could find a place for you somewhere. Though I do think you are in a good place, so why change that. Love you.

    ReplyDelete