Friday, July 8, 2016

Continuing Our Quest to Locate Animated Fish...

Piper is like the most adorable thing ever.

Finding Dory, though! Apparently it's one that people have been anticipating a bit; I only came for the Idris Elba. And stayed for the Idris Elba. Idris Elba!

But the rest was good too. Nothing I say is going to persuade you to see the film or dissuade you at all, I'm just reporting on the experience.

I can't say the last time Pixar felt like Pixar. Wall-E? Ratatouille? I can't really explain the difference between then and now; maybe it's got something to do with that one lunch dealio with Wall-E being the last idea they came up with there? But I'm not sure. I can't put a finger on "Old Pixar." But I can put a finger on the new. The new vibe Pixar's got going for it is, it makes you cry a lot? That was the case with Good Dinosaur, and, sheesh, I thought I cried a lot during that movie. Finding Dory is, basically, the first scene of Up, only every scene is that scene.

I hate you so much right now, Pixar. I'll forgive you when Coco comes out.

Crazy stuff? Crazy stuff: In its third weekend, Finding Dory surpassed the total domestic cume Zootopia made across its entire run so far (it is still playing in a few theaters, once again.) I can't even comprehend this. It must have been rapid ticket inflation, I think; a sizable number of people (say, a quarter of those who went to go see Zootopia) bought tickets, but those tickets were themselves four times more expensive for Finding Dory (the price has now normalized in its fourth weekend, explaining how my ticket price was normal.)

And watch this, Secret Life of Pets is going to make bank only because low demand is going to create low supply, thus shooting up the price of each ticket. I refuse to believe the economy works on any other principle when it comes to people actually going to see Illumination films. I like to imagine that the world is in general a decent place, where the only reason Minions is the 11th highest grossing film of all time is because there was some weird routing error and people felt sorry enough for the movie to let it go uncorrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment