Sunday, July 31, 2016

Of Chiropteran Run-Ins and Career Opportunities

Going for an evening walk a few hours ago, there was a bat that looked in a bad way, flailing around and not flying very well, I guess, though I can't say I'm not familiar with bats up close and, maybe they always fly like that? Real little one too, not like a baby by any means but still probably juvenile of whatever species of bat they've got here (fruit...? (fun fact about Idaho I didn't know #2: its state fruit is the huckleberry?))

It flopped/flew from the road in front of me, as if startled by me. Flew and landed in the parking lot on the other side of the sidewalk from the road, and then again and resting near the chain link fence (which I think it tried to fly through before quitting that.) Was it sick? Wounded? I don't know. Went home to get a shoebox and blanket and pair of examination gloves to scoop it up and take care of it and contact a veterinarian to take over from there, but when I got back, the little guy was gone (I don't actually know if it was male or not; I'm no chiropterologist and didn't exactly get the opportunity to look at its little bat privates.) (that is, I assume bat privates are little... see, see how little I know about bats?) (Every dead thing that I find does seem to work out spear, but this little (biddy?) was still alive, so, no sale.)

If it was gone, which it was, I'm just assuming it was alright all along, nothing broken about it at all. Because that's really all I can do.

Speaking of my creepy knack for locating animals when they're usually already dead, though, that boy squirrel corpse talked about in the link above, remember how it turned out that that could net me a job, as here? Figured now that I've got time for it, in summer, I could maybe look into that... but it turns out that it's a school job, at like the biology department, and it's, like I said, summer right now... there are a few summer classes going on, but the possibility that anything would be related is, remote...

No comments:

Post a Comment