Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Poop on SLoP

Secret Life of Pets makes more money in its first weekend than some of my favorite films of this year made in their entire run. Hail Caesar, 10 Cloverfield Lane. Gods of Egypt? All beaten out within three days. Well.

Maybe it deserves the money; I don't know. It's actually getting pretty good reviews, so that's... something. A- on Metacritic, last I checked? This could be proof that Illumination is capable of making stuff that doesn't suck? Evidence, at least, if not proof. Secret Life of Pets turning out not to suck would be proof; decent reviews is only evidence. Which puts the upcoming Sing in an even shakier position, actually, makes it more of a toss-up, instead of securing it some like this-is-definitely-gonna-be-worth-seeing status. It genuinely looks pretty heartfelt, at least, if a tad incoherent. Trailers don't mean anything plot-coherence wise, of course, so I don't know; heartfeltness in trailers is slightly more reliable, for what it's worth.

...but man every time I see that that gorilla kid's dad is a bank robber I just get flashbacks to Minions... Shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment