Saturday, January 2, 2016

Packing Day (Plus Zootopia Watch Trailer Review)

   Turns out there are these things called "scholarships," which come to good little boys and girls who do well in school, so I won't like need that job if my grades are good enough, because school won't be as expensive? It's some great magical mystery. And good news.

   I spent my day packing... shopping for new clothes (including boots for the snowier days)... finishing up transferring all my computer files onto my new laptop. We're heading out in the morning... Here, have a photo, my entire life's story crammed into a few cardboard boxes, a plastic bin, a suitcase and a shoulder bag. Which isn't as depressing as it sounds, when my dad's the one doing the cramming into boxes (he remains the world champion of real-life Tetris.)


   Which of course you can't appreciate from a photo like this, and especially not one like this which is more about the volume of things also not in boxes? plus their arrangement in the living room next to the still-up Vegetable Tree (no, our Christmas trees are not yet down. No, they will not be taken down within the foreseeable future. Yes, the number of trees populating our house has actually gone up since Christmas.)

   I... guess that's actually enough material for a post. I was about to bemoan just how much wad I shot posting 2 math videos, my Christmas card, a Zootopia piece and a Radiohead song up yesterday, thinking maybe I could have saved some for today (not much time to blog with all this, preparation, going on) but, hey that's pretty good. 'Specially with the Zootopia trailer watch piece below.

ZOOTOPIA WATCH TRAILER REVIEW pt 1
   So, it turns out that, like I suspected, there was a bit more original to the new trailer than I'd stated. By, like, a full 2 seconds, during the DMV scene. Which, though it isn't much, is a lot. First off, you've got a nice overhead shot at 1:01, which you didn't get to see in the original trailer-- it's great if you're a sane and rational human being who just can't get enough of those extras, man; those okapi strollin' around in the background of the sloth trailer were one of the best parts of it.

   Also, like, with the stamping sloth, they show the end of the stamping, pulling up with the stamp instead of stamping down with it? Basically picking up where the first trailer left off. These two things-- as well as the altered dialog I guess ("on" and "it" when the mouths are clearly awkwardly instead saying "doing" and "fine;" I've scoured the original trailer for where they pull the "break" mouth movements from and, ???) show that there's at least some material in the film they left out of the trailer. (Reviewing the original sloth trailer this is clearly the case-- notice the slight jump 32.5ish seconds into it, switching between camera angles without giving Judy quite enough time to have her paws up on the counter like that? It starts to drive you nuts once you notice it, and I genuinely hope that the case in the final film is that they're leaving a tiny portion out of the trailer.)

   But yeah the stampy sloth. It's precisely because of that end-stamping action that's shown that you realize-- or, I realized, at least-- the image here is, for some reason, mirrored from how it is in the original trailer (and presumably the film itself.)

   PAID is backward here, and the sloth, teller or whatever, is on the left side to the customer or patron or whatever.


   That, as compared to:


   Totally wouldn't have noticed; what's up with that? Probably has something to do with the fact that the clips are also shown staple-photo-stamp instead of photo-stamp-staple? It's, Sloth-facing-right, sloth-facing-left, sloth-facing-right, instead of the old SFL, SFL, SFR. Though... that actually raised MORE questions. I, just don't know, man.

   Though I do still love the strained patience of the animals' body language. Never gonna get over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment