Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Hail, Caesar!: A Lot Going On (Plus Penultimate Zootopia Watch)

   I couldn't stay at home, knowing that Hail, Caesar! was going on and that I have no homework tonight and thus not much better to do... so I went to go see it again. Second time through: I was right, definitely, those are all themes instead of symbols. (Though, if it were symbolic, fake whale = submarine?) It's so great, too, viewing a movie with a completely different audience, seeing which parts get bigger or smaller reactions. The scene where THE SOLE TWIST OF THE FILM occurs always gets a huge gasp; it's so great.

   Different audience, different comment overheard at the conclusion of the film: there was a lot going on, pointed out the girl who commented this time. Henry Mannix is the name that pops into my mind as soon as I begin searching for the name of the main character, so I've got no reason to doubt-- Eddie, Eddie Mannix, thank you IMDB... Eddie Mannix is one busy dude, handling his schedule like a boss, managing his affairs with diplomacy and aplomb which I admire and even kind of envy...

   I impress the heck outta myself if I handle a situation half so well as Eddie Mannix; he's doubtless been training since a youth. The film itself is not nearly as frenzied, of course, taking its time to showcase random little scenes out of the movies that are produced by Capitol Pictures, all of which tangentially deal with actors tangentially or directly connected to the plot.

   I can see what the girl's talking about, though, because those things are connected to the plot, and, well, there's a lot going on. Second time watching this, it's easier to parse...

   That was my second time. In a row. The last two movies I saw, both Hail, Caesar!. I've lost track of how many times I went to go see Star Wars; my Friday booking basically looks like me hanging around Fat Cats alternating between seeing Zootopia in 2-D and 3-. Is this usual for me? I've never really gone out to the movie theater all that much historically-- I made a list of potential reasons how that could've changed, but it was kind of boring and no reasons that you probably can't hazard at (lifestyle changes, all that... except, the larger chunk of my Force Awakens views were back still at home, so could that really be it?)

   I've been watching films I've already seen, and paying per view. This is a recent development, clearly. I haven't even been one to watch movies more than once, while I can still mostly remember them. Well, except for Guardians of the Galaxy, of course. And The Lego Movie. And Big Hero 6. And... and all of these movies are from 2014 or later.

   Could that be it? It's not me, it's the movies? Is Hollywood hitting back? Netflix has binge television, and in the face of that model, has Hollywood seriously had enough time to develop... binge cinema? They discuss television's impact on the picture show business, in the film; clearly, though, the big screen is alive and well... but I don't know.

ZOOTOPIA WATCH
   http://visitzootopia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment