Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hail, Caesar!: Slow Clap Great

   Today was so great... Animation Workshop is like Comic Book Workshop, but not mainstream! Yet. I completed the logo project we'd been working on! Though my logo could really use some improvements, still; I'm proud of it as a design but as a logo it could stand to be simplified. I scuffed my logo printout before I could mount it, so I had to go all the way back to AlphaGraphics to buy a new one! But we could use that scuffed disposable printout to doodle all the improvements that could be made to the design.

   Also, I won the sudoku contest in the Scroll this week, that's a bit of an announcement. $5 gift card for pizza at the Pizza Pie. Which is supposed to be good? Though $5 isn't really that much; the gift card might be refillable though?

Loooogo


   I did... well I did alright on the test this morning, I suppose. In the 96-98% range, I think. Would've gotten 100% had I known to study the difference between Flemish and Dutch art, which artists were which; it seems really obvious in retrospect... Halls I know I got wrong. As for the others, I'm more confident of success, but I'm still putting in that margin of error...

   I went to go see Hail, Caesar! this evening. Turns out missing it on Monday wasn't that bad of a thing, because Paramount 5 gives you extra discounts on your ticket if you go in for a Tuesday showing. For some reason.

   Once it was finished, when Michael Gambon finished narrating and the credits started silently and Joel and Ethan Coen were revealed to be God metafictionally, or something, there was, in the theater where I saw it, not only clapping but scattered slow clapping throughout the audience.

   It's just as the guy in front of me said, which was so awesome that I had to write it down so I've got the exact words, "that was great. Like slow clap great. It made no sense, but it was great." Or as one of the two other guys who stuck around through the end of the credits said, it's one of those ones you're going to have to sit on. (Older gents. Han and Leia generation, in Star Wars terms, as one observed to me, as I was looking at the The Force Awakens poster before the film began.)

   I've come to the conclusion that there's not much symbolism, but there are a heck of a lot of themes. At least I hope that's the case. Otherwise, well, I've got quite the web arranged in my head of how everything is symbolic for everything else... Capitol Pictures is the name of the production company; Das Kapital is the name of a book about communism, so... Yep, yep, it's thematic, not symbolic.

No comments:

Post a Comment