Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Intimations on the Concept of Canonical Explorations of the Wider Zoo-niverse

   I've got a test in the morning, and though I feel like 99% prepared for it, well, 99% was the score I got on last test, when I felt 100% prepared, which would mean that I don't have time to crunch numbers right now, I thought I was studying. Right. So I'll just make this post brief, fleshing it out more fully with previously written Zootopia-based-writing-marathon material. It concerns the idea of, not even just a sequel, man, but further spin-offs as well- it's already been called the Zoo-niverse. If all the reptiles and birds are on some other continent, there could potentially be entirely non-Zootopia related adventures set in the same world...

   Everyone loved Frozen, except for, like, a lot of people. Fewer people dislike Zootopia, and, actually, heck, even those negative reviews said the movie was great for adults as long as you didn't let your kids think about the message too hard (more or less, is what it was.) Frozen being a bona fide cultural phenomenon, but appealing most to preteen and teenage girls, delving into the stats behind the ratings on IMDB, that's shaping up to be the case with Zootopia as well. It scores the best in the demographic of females under the age of 18. More likely to give it a full score of 10 of 10 than any other demographic, by a margin of I don't have time to crunch numbers right now, I thought I was studying.

   They're making a sequel to that, somewhere down the pipes, and that one doesn't even have a 99% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes or an IMDB star rating tied with Citizen Kane. (It hardly feels real to me. It doesn't even feel fake, or surreal. It just feels... nonexistent. The whole movie. It's like I'm writing about some fever dream, is how it feels. Is this how it feels when dreams come true?)

   But I'm not that interested in the idea of a sequel. Oh, it'd be great, I'm sure. Like I said, the world building's expansive enough for it. I think that it's expansive enough even for spinoff television series, though, which would be far more exciting, or has the potential to be. It's totally going to be traditionally animated instead of done in a computer, for one, because there's no CG television series based off a movie with as impressive visuals as the original film and dang were the visuals in Zootopia impressive.

   Well, there was the How to Train Your Dragon television series. I've got no idea how they did that.

   So, yeah, it could be CG. But there's something about the alternative that I find appealing. The art styles of the graphically bolder tie-in books were all completely charming, and I think that maybe they could ape something like that (much harder to goof it up, for one.) So it's going to be hand-drawn, or at least Flash animated, in sort of a flat and stylized but still very smooth style, like some of that art is, and, and, as long as we're dreaming, the creative team on it are going to put thought and care into each episode, and it's going to be as good as or even better than Steven Universe or Adventure Time or Friendship is Magic.

   Holy crap, I just made a mental connection between Twilight Sparkle's becoming a princess when she used to be a realistic role model, and the arguments of those two critics who didn't like the movie, how imperfect an allegory animal species prejudice is, how saying e.g. sloths are slow would seem to undermine the moral message of the movie. There's, such a connection there, between those modes of criticism.

   With "just" making that connection meaning, back on Friday when I wrote that. Right now, though, I thought I was studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment