Saturday, March 26, 2016

Interesting Times

“Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.”
 --Assyrian clay tablet dating 2800 BC.*

   Times are certainly interesting. I've felt weird all day, especially after finding out that my gentleman crush is gay right on back, and thus the relationship becomes either the straightest or the gayest thing in the world, the most moral or immoral, and for the opposite reasons that we usually conceive of relationships being one or the other. I could go on for hours why that's the case, but I'll allow you to figure it out for yourself...

   Congratulations, man. We just broke ethics. Like, all of ethics. It's dead now. And you're still hopelessly out of my league...

...
"Time is passing by/ I still want you/ Crime is on the rise/ I still want you/ Climate change and debt/ I still want you/ Nuclear distress/ I still want you/ The Earth is heating up/ I still want you/ Hurricanes and floods/ I still want you/ Even more than I did before"
--Brandon Flowers.



   This goes through my head, over and over, as I think about this subject, "interesting times," "signs that the world is speedily coming to an end." Even more than I did before, I still want you; while (and I flashback to, a dream from my childhood perhaps) what it would mean, to get what I want, gets greyer and greyer...

...
"May you live in interesting times."
--Ancient Chinese curse.**

   Is it a curse to live in interesting times? Not at all, I don't think. For me at least. And in fact, the opposite, though I live in confusion. I nearly asked, I almost said, take away from me this confusion, but then I realized-- this is how I thrive. I was placed in this time for a reason. A grey world is the healthiest for me. I could never live in a world all black or all white; the only life for me is the good life, though one with monsters in it.

   Though always I struggle to answer, if this is the case, does this make me one of those; does this make me a monster.

*Which is a dang impressive prediction, and doubly so, seeing how it'll take another 300 years or so for Assyria to even form, and for any other records to start appearing. 
**The existence of this saying, though dating back thousands of years, managed to go entirely unrecorded until 1946 Britain of all places. Like the clay tablet thing above, GO FIGURE, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment