Saturday, January 13, 2018

Spanimation

Went to go see two animated films today, at Paramount 5, both in English but probably canonically both in Spanish in real life. Really enjoyed both of them. Those would of course be Coco and Ferdinand. (Put those two names together like that, it sounds like it could almost be a sequel to Harold and Maude or something.) Wanted to go see Jumanji some time, but there wasn't really a good schedule for it, for me. So instead, Coco at 4:50, quick bite to eat from Ramires', Ferdinand at 7:10 with Ryan and Angeles.

Ferdinand's character designs were gorgeous, how they could get multiple highly distinctive designs off of the same species. Coco's use of color was breathtaking. I'm going to need to study both visual elements later, in depth. Maybe do a YouTube video breaking down what I learn, each. Start a new series. Ferdinand and character design, Coco and color, Zootopia and worldbuilding. Maybe one about musical sequences, Moana, or the My Little Pony movie, or something.

The previews for Ferdinand in front of Coco didn't inspire much confidence, just a bunch of funny-animal stuff, but it was just a bad trailer. Good movie, though. None of the previews in front of Ferdinand inspired much confidence. Except for the one for Coco, which was good. Good trailer. Good movie.

I saw like 80% of Coco's plot coming from a mile off, but being predictable or even clichéd isn't a bad thing in my eyes. 

There's a random dance-off in the middle of Ferdinand, and song-and-dance just for the sake of song-and-dance isn't something I'm usually into, even if the music happens to actually be really good, but this movie, even the dance-off I kind of enjoyed (Singin' in the Rain doesn't "do it for me" as much as it seems to do others; the title song is alright, as well as "Good Morning," because those actually tell us something about the character's inner feelings, but, huge tangent, I could go in-depth on this, I'm sorry.)

I'm not sure what either of these films is rated, but if they aren't both rated G, the G rating is buried (we already knew it was dead, and had the final nail in its coffin, but this is what buries it.)

("Everybody dance" endings are more tolerable for me; the one in MegaMind goes on a bit long but other than that is fine. The one at the end of Hotel Transylvania can die in a fire. The ones at the end of Zootopia and the My Little Pony movie are of course flawless and wonderful. Anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment