Tuesday, May 2, 2017

After After the Film

More untold history from Friday: after the movie, after the after-movie discussion, I went into the computer lab to, do something computery I think- I recall not really needing one of those computers, but a computer, and being too lazy/in a hurry to go home to use my laptop; I think I needed to check a schedule thing. 

People were in there, discussing Moana: the woman who brings it up feels that there's no character development or conflict in the character of Moana: as a child she wanted to go to sea, as she grew up she accepted her responsibility as protector of the island, and now --how convenient-- she needs to go to sea in order to protect the island, tra-la-la. 

Having just gotten out of a discussion of a film, where people had picked up on like themes or whatever which I had completely missed in my own personal viewing, I was intrigued by the what-the-heck-ness of it all: are we as a society so used to analyzing storytelling techniques that we do it as part of our enjoyment process of a story, we do it just secondhand without thinking, or what? 

And then she said something about how she still likes Harry Potter even though it's mainstream now, and I realize, oh, these aren't normies, this isn't a normie conversation. Normies talk about relationships and stuff when they talk to each other; I've seen it firsthand that's what they do. Which means that this non-normie conversation, about non-normie things... doesn't count, or something.

Disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment