Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Three Stories, or One

If there's a single verse of scripture at the core of all others, my nomination for it would be Matthew 26:41: Watch and pray that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak. Christ has come to his disciples while in the Garden of Gethsemane, and they've fallen asleep. 

I had homework due this evening, the readings for New Testament class tomorrow being Matthew 26-28; I got nothing completed, at least not in time. With little time to complete anything, I focused on the most possible of all my assignments due to complete, which was the reading assignment. There were a couple of chapters of commentary to read, and I nodded off in the midst of them.

Gilgamesh approaches Utnapishtim wanting to know the secret of eternal life, and Utnapishtim agrees to give it to him if he can go I think it was three days without sleep. But Gilgamesh can't- and so how is he supposed to be able to stay alive forever, if he can't even go without sleep?

I completed the reading in time, and even potentially the response, but the assignment is closed by the time I'm able to access it, so I can't submit anything. So that's the end of that story. If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment