Wednesday, May 16, 2012

But Maybe I Came Across as Being Harsh to LiveJournal

   Far from it, I think LiveJournal is one of the greatest things to happen to the internet. In fact, if I were in charge of designing the perfect social networking site, I don't think I could do much better than LiveJournal. It has all of the austerity of twitter, all of the Usenettiness of Usenet, all of the intimacy of MySpace. It's like WordPress, but more social. It's like a chat forum, only friendlier. It's like Pinterest, because a vast majority of the people on it are female. Nope, I don't think I could come up with a better social network if they paid me.

   If I were in charge of inventing a social networking site, though, it'd be like twitter, only more so. Instead of being limited to 140 characters, you'd be limited to a single word. That word would be the role in society you'd be playing at that moment. For example, I'd put, blogger, because right now I am a blogger. If I were crossing the street, I'd put, pedestrian. If I were drawing, I'd put artist. Et cetera. It'd be called, jaques, or something. "One man in his time plays many parts." As You Like It, Act II, scene 7. That makes sense, right? So, you could scroll down all the things that someone's jaques'd, and see the statistical breakdown of all the people who have ever been, say, boom mike operators (I think there could be a separate slot where you could put adjectives is how that works.)

2 comments: